Password? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to back up files from my laptop to my desktop.  Back up had been running smoothly for about a month, when just today it started asking for a user name and password to accomplish the back up.  I have a user name and password for my laptop, but that isn't doing it.  I don't have a user name or password set up on my desktop.  I have no clue what it is asking for.

Any ideas?

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:25 PM

Answers

• If the backup process is asking for a user ID and password, I'd check the permissions on the Share on the desktop. it sounds like they are no longer configured to allow everyone full access. Is the desktop PC also running OneCare? If so, you may have encountered an annoying firewall issue where access to the PC on the LAN for file and printer sharing becomes inexplicably blocked even if it shows as enabled in the settings. Turning the firewall off and back on or rebooting usually resolves that issue. If none of that helps, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:38 PM