How to restore system image from network or USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to replace the 500GB SSD in my laptop.

Prior to replacing the SSD, I had done a "System Image" backup onto my Synology NAS.

After successfully reinstalling Windows 10 Pro, I can use Explorer to see the network files but cannot complete a system restore.  When I try to do it from the Windows environment (Backup and Restore) it does not find the system image to restore.  When I boot to the recovery mode, I cannot connect to my NAS; not sure if this is because my laptop uses a USB-C docking station and a driver is not available or not (connecting to the network via wifi does not help).

I copied the "windowsimagebackup" file from the NAS to an external USB drive.  When I tried to restore from the USB drive, it does not list the system image file to recover from.  However, I was able to access the directory of the vhdx recovery file and it shows the previous system information (files / folders).

How do I restore my system from the system image (USB or NAS)?  The system image is about 95% the size of the SSD (435GB of 500GB drive) so I cannot "copy" it to another partition on the SSD.

I really don't want to wipe the SSD again and start over if I don't have to.  I live in a rural area and do not have unlimited broadband.

• Moved by Dave PatrickMVP Monday, November 9, 2020 8:52 PM looking for forum
    Monday, November 9, 2020 8:14 PM

Answers