NEED PAUSE/RESUME RRS feed

• Question

• There needs to be an option to pause / resume downloads - no question about it. I have 700 GB+ of data, and for that to be successfully backed up in a single session is a big ask. For small backups the current setup is fine, but say a computer crashes, user accidentally restarts etc - its a waste of time and resources to have to start all over again.

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:22 AM

All replies

• It's only the first backup that is a problem as subsequent backups are incremental. Also by adjusting the backup time period you can backup at a time when the PC isn't in use.

Gordon

Friday, June 15, 2007 9:56 AM
  • Gordon, what he's really complaining about is that very first backup of a machine with a lot of data. Even if you've already got a couple of machines backed up, with various OS images, a lot of the data on a machine with that much storage is probably unique, and it takes quite a while to back up.

So I guess I sort of agree with him; it would be nice to be able to pause a backup. However, the technical considerations are probably going to prevent adding that as an option.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 12:05 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Gordon, what he's really complaining about is that very first backup of a machine with a lot of data. Even if you've already got a couple of machines backed up, with various OS images, a lot of the data on a machine with that much storage is probably unique, and it takes quite a while to back up.

So I guess I sort of agree with him; it would be nice to be able to pause a backup. However, the technical considerations are probably going to prevent adding that as an option.

Actually Ken, I agree as well  I was trying to suggest that it wasn't a major issue. I wasn't certain that the OP was just addressing initial  backups - I assumed (incorectly) from the comments about users that the OP had not realised subsequent backups were incremental.

Pausing backups would be great, but as you imply the technical "opportunities" are probably too great to spend much dev tme on it!

Gordon

Friday, June 15, 2007 12:35 PM