WD external hd blocked by OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• My external hard drive is being blocked by OneCare. When i plug in the hd, all i hear is thump, thump & it never connects to my laptop. HELP!!!! How do I get the dang thing working so I can see my files on the hd?
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:28 AM

Answers

• OneCare would not block a device connected to the PC as it isn't a network connection. I suspect a hardware problem, probably with the drive since you are describing a thumping noise.

To confirm that it is not OneCare, open OneCare and click change settings. Turn off the firewall temporarily and try to access the drive.

I suggest contacting Western Digital.

-steve

Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:45 AM

All replies

• OneCare would not block a device connected to the PC as it isn't a network connection. I suspect a hardware problem, probably with the drive since you are describing a thumping noise.

To confirm that it is not OneCare, open OneCare and click change settings. Turn off the firewall temporarily and try to access the drive.

I suggest contacting Western Digital.

-steve

Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:45 AM
  • Thanks Steve for your quick response. I have turned off Windows OneCare but it still doesn't work. The sound that i hear is when I plug in the hd and the laptop makes a boing, boing sound like something just hit a firewall. I think it is a notification form the firewall that a program has been blocked. It used to work all of the time.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:50 AM
  • You're welcome. The sound you hear is the sound made when a USB device is detected and plugged in. There are no sounds for the OneCare firewall. If OneCare blocks a program (it doesn't block a device) you would get an alert asking if you wish to allow the program to have network access. That isn't the situation you are seeing.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Hi Steve, thanks alot for the information. How do I get the device working? I have tons of information on my device & I need to access it. I will contact WD tonight to find out what they can do for me.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:55 AM
  • From the sound you get when plugging in the drive, it seems that Windows has detected the fact that something is plugged in. If the drive is dead, it won't be seen as a drive to Windows. If the drive needs more power, in that you are plugged into the USB post, but the drive is USB powered, with no external power connection, it may not work - especially if that USB port is through a hub. Try a different USB port.

One other thing to check - go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management. If you see the USB drive there, but it has been assigned a drive letter that has been assigned to a mapped network drive, you'll need to change the drive letter or remove the mapping.

-steve

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:10 PM