Slow transfer speed when copying large files to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a gigabit LAN and SATAII HDD's on both my client and WHS boxes.  When I copy a large file (several GB's or large) the transfer speed seems to run consistanly below 10Mbs/sec.  This seems slow for a gigabit LAN.  What transfer speeds are other WHS testers seeing?

Aaron

Monday, February 19, 2007 10:22 PM

Answers

• How big is the first hard drive in your home server?  Windows Home Server uses 10 GB of the primary hard drive for the operating system and the remainder is used for the first DATA volume.   This first DATA volume is used for copying data from PCs to your home server and then Drive Extender will move it to one of your other hard drives. 

Also, if Folder Duplication is turned on for one or more of the given shared folders then Drive Extender will make sure there are 2 copies of each file stored on 2 separate hard drives.   And lastly, if you have enable "Media Library Sharing" on the Photos, Music and/or Videos folder, then Windows Home Server will start indexing the media as it is added to these folders.

If you want to copy lots of data to your home server - here are a few recommendations:

• Have a large primary hard drive - I have a 300 GB drive in my home server
    • Turn off 'Folder Duplication' on a shared folder during a big copy operation and turn it back on after the copy completes
    • Turn off "Media Library Sharing" on a shared folder and turn in back on after the copy completes.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:27 PM

All replies

• I'm getting anywhere from 20-40 mb/sec depending on the machine I'm using. Note: I have autotuning off on a couple Vista machines and I'm seeing higher speeds.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:25 AM
  • Thanks.  I will turn off autotuning and see if that helps.

Aaron

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:43 AM
  • How big is the first hard drive in your home server?  Windows Home Server uses 10 GB of the primary hard drive for the operating system and the remainder is used for the first DATA volume.   This first DATA volume is used for copying data from PCs to your home server and then Drive Extender will move it to one of your other hard drives. 

Also, if Folder Duplication is turned on for one or more of the given shared folders then Drive Extender will make sure there are 2 copies of each file stored on 2 separate hard drives.   And lastly, if you have enable "Media Library Sharing" on the Photos, Music and/or Videos folder, then Windows Home Server will start indexing the media as it is added to these folders.

If you want to copy lots of data to your home server - here are a few recommendations:

• Have a large primary hard drive - I have a 300 GB drive in my home server
    • Turn off 'Folder Duplication' on a shared folder during a big copy operation and turn it back on after the copy completes
    • Turn off "Media Library Sharing" on a shared folder and turn in back on after the copy completes.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:27 PM
  • I have two 250GB SataII hard drives on the server and very few files so far so there is plenty of space on the server.  I do not see why the server should have to copy a file to both hard drives....it should copy a file to one drive and then after that is done send a copy to the other hard drive.  If it immediately copies a big file twice (once to each server drive) from the originating drive, that is very very inneficient.  Thanks for your comments.

Aaron

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:03 PM
  • I've been using WHS for a week or so. My intensions have been to transfer all my DVD backups into home server. Each backup is in the form of a single .iso dvd image file, and because I'm not using compression, the image file tends to be anywhere from 3GB to 9GB in size.

Recently, transfers to my share folders have taken much longer. After reading your tips on slow transfers and thinking about what I've done thus far, I have a question I hope someone might be able to answer:

If all of my files are several GB is size and at one point I used up most of the available memory pool space (including the Primary hard drive). Is WHS smart enough to move data off the Primary drive when a new disc is added?

If it's true that all data is first transfered to the Primary drive before Drive Extender moves it into the pool, I'm thinking a large buffer area is needed. What happens to large file transfer speeds when the Primary drive is almost full?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have hundreds of files to go and at 10-15 minutes per file...

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:50 PM
  • My primary drive is 80GB, and the drive array is 2.5TB. I can easily copy over 400GB in one session (or more, that's the max I tried), with no issues. I'm on a gigabit LAN as well, and I get about ~40MBps sustained writes on the array.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:20 PM
  • I noticed a significant decrease in file transfer speed between Beta 2 and CTP.  Turning off "media sharing" when bulk copying, say digital pictures, onto WHS seemed to make things snappier.  Maybe I didn't notice it before, but the "Balancing Storage" message on the bottom of the WHS console seems to be present a lot of the time.  Makes me think that DE performance has degraded in the CTP release, but I don't have any hard data to back that up...
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:08 PM
  • The fastest speed I have achieved was 10MB ps.  I'll try turning off media sharing and folder duplication and see if that helps for me.  I agree that these operations should happen after the fact if transfer speeds are significantly affected.  Has anyone reported this yet?  If so, can you please share the link so we can vote for it?
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:24 PM
  • I have been getting good transfer speeds recently.

Check out this thread http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1318039&SiteID=50

Dawg.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:31 PM