Active Directory and IM RRS feed

• Question

•  I'm looking for a way to allow only certain users from the same OU in active directory to Instant message a group outside the organization. Can this be done and if so how?
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:24 PM

All replies

• You can use the ABSconfig.exe Resource Kit Tool to create Address Book partitions based on organizational units in Active Directory but that will only prevent accounts outside of the local OU from appearing when searched for using the Find bar.  You will still be able to search the Global Address Book for other accounts or simply use the SIP name to contact other OCs users in the domain. 

Here's some additional history on the same topic:
    http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/communicationsserveruser/thread/22fc21a4-1d40-4114-bd3b-3dccfa84c452/

Blocking communications from users can only currently set at the user-level by assigning contacts/DLs to the Blocked Access Level.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:58 PM
  • What I'm trying to do is allow a certain number of users in the same OU to communicate with only their client that is external from the address book and company. I don't want all the users in the OU to be able to communicate because there are several teams that make up the same OU. I just want the team to be able to communicate with their respective client. Can this be done?
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:32 PM
  • No, not without having each user assign everyone else EXCEPT the desired users in their Blocked Access Level (which is a terribly messy 'solution', for lack of a better word).
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:41 PM