none
Gotta love the forum software RRS feed

• Question

• So I type a reply to a post, hit the submit button. It doesnt post but I get the message:

"Unexpected Error"

Heh - no kidding

The only way I can post is via the bridge!

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    • Moved by Lori Dirks Friday, January 18, 2013 7:01 PM FORUMS ISSUES GO IN THIS FORUM, NOT IN TOPICAL FORUMS
    Friday, January 18, 2013 1:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Often I can't make a new line when typing a response.

Have to save it and then edit it to add the carrriage returns

Expression Web MVP

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Been happening a lot to me lately, over the past several days.  Repeated errors, never actually submitting the post.  I've been getting around it by ...wait for it... closing IE, and using FireFox to post to this forum instead.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 2:42 PM
  • "Often I can't make a new line when typing a response.

Have to save it and then edit it to add the carrriage returns"

Me, too.  Depends on the browser: it's always been an issue in IE9, for me.  Of course, since submitting posts at all in IE (IE9 or IE8) has become an issue, that's now a small concern.

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Same here. I use Chrome for the Forum, it behaves much better. The 'Unexpected Error' issue is less common if I open post fully rather than reply from the expanded sequence.

Nice thing now though is that if I have the forum open in IE9 or 10 the page title is "“Foro de Expression Web and SuperPreview”. It's the correct title in English in Chrome. 

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:47 PM
  • FWIW, I end up html view and have random bits of the HTML stripped out. It was frustrations like these that lead me to open the Expression Web Forum It at least works including notifications.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:53 PM
  • This thread has been moved to the Forums Issues forum.

These type of posts do not belong in the topical Expression Web forum.

If you want to discuss the forum software, this is the place to do it.  Period.

Friday, January 18, 2013 7:02 PM
  • This thread has been moved to the Forums Issues forum.

That seems to have worked out as well as everything else here, since I'm still seeing it in the EW forum. ;-)

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

Friday, January 18, 2013 7:58 PM
  • "Often I can't make a new line when typing a response.

Have to save it and then edit it to add the carrriage returns"

Me, too.  Depends on the browser: it's always been an issue in IE9, for me.  Of course, since submitting posts at all in IE (IE9 or IE8) has become an issue, that's now a small concern.

I edit the html and add a <br> followed by a couple characters, then I can keep going before submitting my post.

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Note that in IE, you can add a line break (<br>) by pressing Shift+Enter. No HTML editing required for that. (And pressing Enter without Shift adds <p></p> element.)

This text follows two line breaks.

New paragraph here.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Friday, January 18, 2013 11:49 PM
  • "(And pressing Enter without Shift adds <p></p> element.)"

Well, no, it doesn't.  When IE9 can't add a line, it's stuck, period.  It won't respond to enter (or there would be no complaint about not being able to add a line).

Of course, since for the past several days, and still now, I can't post in the forum with either IE8 or IE9 - an infinite sequence of "Unexpected Error" - OK - Submit - "Unexpected Error" ensues - it doesn't really matter.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Lori,

Point taken.

However there's no obvious link from the Expression forums to the 'Forums Home' and then on to this 'Issues' forum. Unless I'm missing something obvious......

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:38 AM
  • "(And pressing Enter without Shift adds <p></p> element.)"

Well, no, it doesn't.  When IE9 can't add a line, it's stuck, period.  It won't respond to enter (or there would be no complaint about not being able to add a line).

Of course, since for the past several days, and still now, I can't post in the forum with either IE8 or IE9 - an infinite sequence of "Unexpected Error" - OK - Submit - "Unexpected Error" ensues - it doesn't really matter.

Yes, I've noticed the general posting issues in the forums, and I find it very annoying, too.

However, I have never had any problems getting Enter to create a new paragraph and to get Shift+Enter create a <br> element using Internet Explorer 9 (on Windows 7).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, January 19, 2013 1:07 PM
  • This is a known issue.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:42 AM
    Owner