Roaming Profiles RRS feed

• Question

• Profiles - I have not seen an easy way to set up roaming profiles for a home network on WHS. Am i overlooking something? if not, that would be a suggested feature add.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:57 PM

Answers

• True centrally managed roaming profiles require Active Directory, which is not a part of WHS.

Your workaround is to configure user profiles manually on each machine to point to a location on WHS. It's a bit annoying to have to do so, but it will work, and you only have to do it once (unless you're constantly adding new users...).

Also, you should vote on this suggestion on Connect.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 11:27 AM
  • Not really. You can just right click on My Documents, Select Properties, then the Target tab (if not already selected). Pick a network location and Move...

You can redirect a user's profile to the same location on all PCs in the house, and they'll have much of the same benefit as a roaming profile.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 10:11 PM

All replies

• True centrally managed roaming profiles require Active Directory, which is not a part of WHS.

Your workaround is to configure user profiles manually on each machine to point to a location on WHS. It's a bit annoying to have to do so, but it will work, and you only have to do it once (unless you're constantly adding new users...).

Also, you should vote on this suggestion on Connect.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 11:27 AM
  • Ken,

great suggesion, do you mean something like described in the below link?

thanks!

Jaap

Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:36 AM
  • Sunday, May 27, 2007 7:24 AM
  • Not really. You can just right click on My Documents, Select Properties, then the Target tab (if not already selected). Pick a network location and Move...

You can redirect a user's profile to the same location on all PCs in the house, and they'll have much of the same benefit as a roaming profile.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 10:11 PM
  • thanks Ken!

that will do the trick for me, I think.

Monday, May 28, 2007 8:34 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Not really. You can just right click on My Documents, Select Properties, then the Target tab (if not already selected). Pick a network location and Move...

Except that the folder I'd really like to redirirect is not "My Documents" but "Share Documents...and there's no way to do that via the UI  

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 5:22 PM
  • True. You can do that with a registry edit, or TweakUI can do it for you (I think). But the standard Windows UI won't let you do that.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Evening,

Certainly TweakUI, (for XP) can re-direct your Shared Documents/Music etc.

That's what we used for the kids' computers.

Colin

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 4:30 PM
  • ... but please remember that this is beta software, so keep backups of your data somewhere else (especially as you'll need to start over with RC1). SyncToy seems to be a safer alternative at the moment.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 11:30 PM
  • is there a tweakUI for Vista or only xp?
    Friday, June 8, 2007 4:48 AM
  • I believe that tweakUI for Vista is not available and probably wont be before SP1. (But I stand to be corrected, only from what I managed to trawl up from the net..)
    Friday, June 8, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Actually, there is a fault with this suggestion: Explorer.exe powering the desktop intermittently fails on file operations to a network-based desktop folder location.

For example, if you change the location of your profile to a network share, of if you just use TweakUI to change the location of your desktop folder to an UNC, and you attempt to create, modify, or delete files that are stored on the desktop, Explorer.exe won't register the changes until you Refresh (F5). You may also receive errors that files you try to access do not exist.

This behavior is by design to prevent people from creating an effective roaming profile solution without using Active Directory.
    • Edited by rfjason Friday, September 19, 2008 10:54 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 10:54 PM