Monthly Report - Suspicious Software Detection numbers do not make sense RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have just got my first monthly reports (on both the 2 PCs I have in my OneCare Circle) and under the Protection Plus section the numbers given for Suspicious Software Detections do not make sense to me.

The number for detections this month is 44, however the total is just 1.  Surely the total should always be the same or greater than the this month figure (same in the first month of installation and then growing with any subsequent figures from following months)

Any info/files I can provide to help diagnose this?

Other than this, the report looks fine (and I must say I like the design / layout)

Thanks,

Neil

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:56 PM

Answers

• The source of the numbers in the monthly report remains a mystery to me and continues to be strange in some cases. I'm not sure that the detections this month actually means that there were 44 malicious bits taken care of. It may be that this is the number of times OneCare detected suspicious activity, but the other number tells you that only once has a piece of malware been found.

Anyway, to answer your question - open OneCare, click on Change Settings, logging tab, create support log - to view a detailed report of OneCare activity in your web browser. You should be able to review the virus and spyware section for what was detected and what action was taken.

-steve

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:08 PM

All replies

• The source of the numbers in the monthly report remains a mystery to me and continues to be strange in some cases. I'm not sure that the detections this month actually means that there were 44 malicious bits taken care of. It may be that this is the number of times OneCare detected suspicious activity, but the other number tells you that only once has a piece of malware been found.

Anyway, to answer your question - open OneCare, click on Change Settings, logging tab, create support log - to view a detailed report of OneCare activity in your web browser. You should be able to review the virus and spyware section for what was detected and what action was taken.

-steve

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:08 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

The source of the numbers in the monthly report remains a mystery to me and continues to be strange in some cases. I'm not sure that the detections this month actually means that there were 44 malicious bits taken care of. It may be that this is the number of times OneCare detected suspicious activity, but the other number tells you that only once has a piece of malware been found.

-steve

My monthly report refers to suspicious software being detected, but says nothing about what was done with it. Also my scan report says that 3 files were not scanned. What is the significance of this ?

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:41 AM
  • The monthly report remains a bit useless to me. In fact, I close it when it appears and no longer pay attention to it. Following the instructions in my earlier reply that you quoted will lead you to the details report for activity on detections and actions taken. As for files not scanned - some files are locked by the OS and cannot be scanned. There's basically no significance to that mention on the monthly report unless it is an unusually high number.

-steve

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:38 PM