Streaming to Xbox 360 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have recently built my own Windows Home Server and most things on it are working fine, its really made a difference in my household.

However, I am experiencing a few problems when it comes to the streaming to xbox 360. I live in a student house, and we all have xbox 360s (mispent student loans!). I know the Xbox will stream .avi, .xvid .divx and .wmv, and some work fine but I have a lot of video files that are in .avi format that do not stream.

I get the error message on the xbox of

'Can't play this content because it may not be supported. For more info, go to wwww.xbox.com/support.

Status code: 69-C00D36C4'

Comparing two files, one that works and one that doesn't, when checking the codecs used on the .avi files (I understand that .avi is just a wrapper) on AVIcodec both say they are encoded in MPEG-4 Codec with a LAMEMP3 codec, so I can't work out why one works and another doesn't.

Is it worth converting my media into .wmv (I know it will take a while), which I don't mind doing, but will create larger files, or lesser quality? What is the exact specification for the best format to stream to Xbox 360? I have looked all over for information but don't seem to be able to find much (or I am looking in the wrong place!)

Thanks in advance

Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:38 PM

Answers

• The Xbox 360 can stream a pretty reasonable variety of video formats. These include the following file types: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov (both H.264 and MPEG-4 Part 2, in both MPEG and Quicktime containers) and, of course, .wmv files.

According to my reseach, WMV and AVI are probably the most compatible formats for windows. However I can not find any evidence that avi is supported for streaming to the XBox. Since I do not own an XBox, I really do not have any first hand experience.

Here is a good article about how to choose a suitable digital video format:
    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/qa-focus/documents/briefings/briefing-25/html/

• Proposed as answer by Mike Ceranski Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by El Del Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:33 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:07 PM
  • From the XBox 360 Video FAQ :

What does the Xbox 360 console support for AVI?
    Answer: The Xbox 360 console supports the following for AVI:
    • File extensions: .avi, .divx
    • Containers: AVI
    • Video profiles: MPEG-4 Part 2 (Simple Profile and Advanced Simple Profile)
    • Video bit rate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 × 720 at 30 fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.
    • Audio profiles: Dolby® Digital (2 channel and 5.1 channel), MP3
    • Audio max bit rate: No restrictions. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

That link is for the NXE interface, but the functionality was added in late 2007, I believe.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:29 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• The Xbox 360 can stream a pretty reasonable variety of video formats. These include the following file types: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov (both H.264 and MPEG-4 Part 2, in both MPEG and Quicktime containers) and, of course, .wmv files.

According to my reseach, WMV and AVI are probably the most compatible formats for windows. However I can not find any evidence that avi is supported for streaming to the XBox. Since I do not own an XBox, I really do not have any first hand experience.

Here is a good article about how to choose a suitable digital video format:
    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/qa-focus/documents/briefings/briefing-25/html/

• Proposed as answer by Mike Ceranski Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:07 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:07 PM
  • From the XBox 360 Video FAQ :

What does the Xbox 360 console support for AVI?
    Answer: The Xbox 360 console supports the following for AVI:
    • File extensions: .avi, .divx
    • Containers: AVI
    • Video profiles: MPEG-4 Part 2 (Simple Profile and Advanced Simple Profile)
    • Video bit rate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 × 720 at 30 fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.
    • Audio profiles: Dolby® Digital (2 channel and 5.1 channel), MP3
    • Audio max bit rate: No restrictions. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

That link is for the NXE interface, but the functionality was added in late 2007, I believe.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:29 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:28 PM