none
OK from here, but my regular workstation completely nonfunctional now RRS feed

• Question

• Brent,

Logging in from my "alternate workstation", seems OK here.

But my regular workstation (XP sp3, IE 8) that has had all sorts of problems with the forums for the lat year, now cannot even login 99% of the time, even with the InPrivate browsing that has been my workaround there for the last year.  Whatever changes were just made to the forum, killed me off completely.

The 1% of the time the login works, when I try to reply to a message I get an edit window with zero-length text box, so I cannot add any text.  There are no edit buttons.  There are submit and cancel buttons, the cancel button works!

Firefox did not work before, and does not work now.

I may finally try Chrome tomorrow.

FWIW,

Josh

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:19 AM

Answers

• So what is this "Windows LiveID Signin Assistant", where do I check to see if I have it installed?

In a cmd window:

sc.exe  queryex  wlidsvc

So if you wanted to try my last suggestion to Kathleen, you could stop it,

net stop wlidsvc

and if that's not enough

sc.exe  config wlidsvc start= disabled

first.

Or just use  services.msc   ; )

Or before that you could try disabling the associated IE Add-ons.   There is an obvious one which is usually always showing and a less obvious one which only shows when you ask to see them all.   One is an ActiveX and one is a BHO but I can't remember which is which.   It's the ...Control which is usually hidden...  Oh.  Something's changed?   No more ...Control.   YMMV.    I used to think that it was the more important component which provided the greatest usability in a multiple LiveID management scenario.   But that bit of functionality was in a great deal of flux last year.   They took it away and then they partially gave it back.   Looks like the implementation changed then too.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:45 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the update. I'll contact you via email for next steps. I'd like Eduardo, one of our testers, to remote desktop to your box, see if he can figure out what's going on.

Community Forums Program Manager

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:28 AM
    Answerer
  • That would be good. Please send me your box info via Brent to remote desktop or all the details of your configuration to create a VM and try to repro the issue.
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:48 AM
  • But my regular workstation (XP sp3, IE 8) that has had all sorts of problems with the forums for the lat year, now cannot even login 99% of the time, even with the InPrivate browsing that has been my workaround there for the last year.  Whatever changes were just made to the forum, killed me off completely.

At least one user thinks that the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant is involved with such symptoms...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/b72def1e-344d-4adf-9be3-e550bdb977d6#6f737604-7ebc-4293-b5ec-47aad0fb8776

The 1% of the time the login works, when I try to reply to a message I get an edit window with zero-length text box, so I cannot add any text.  There are no edit buttons.  There are submit and cancel buttons, the cancel button works!

That sounds worse than my IE10 symptoms.   (With it all the buttons (except for HTML) are listed as links by their tooltip labels inside a very small Edit frame.) 

The simplest thing you could try is to see if  Style, No Style  (e.g. No CSS) can get you any further.   (Alt-V,y,N).   When you do that you may also notice that the HTML Source frame input area is then available to you even though you haven't "pressed" its button and useful provided you can insert the necessary HTML tags.   Alternatively, using the Developer Tools it may be possible to force a usable Edit frame by modifying the source on the fly.   E.g. with F12, Alt-E and then Ctrl-e to find the parameters for the Edit frame... t-widget t-editor t-header   That's actually a class name which you can use for context.   Just above that I see table style="height: 300px   So, for proof of concept I doubled it to 600 then turned off the Edit.   It worked.    ; )

When I get back to IE10 I will see if I can do something similar with it.   However, with it the problem isn't so much the vertical size as the horizontal size.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Robert,

I can occassionally get a login on the forums by logging in on some other part of MSDN and then moving over, but even then nothing is working.

Remember when this started a year or so ago, I was getting *server-side* errors.  It looks like the Microsoft fix was to suppress the server-side errors - and not fix the functionality.  And now, whatever it was then, is much worse.  Could easily be diagnosed and probably fixed if they didn't toss their errors.

I'm posting this from an antique workstation at another location that may be old and slow, but still works!  It has the same system config as my bad workstation, though they have different lists of security features and restricted sites.

As for using the CSS and dev features you specified - well, I tried, but it's beyond me.  However, more than likely it's ON THE SERVER SIDE ANYWAY, if you want my guess.

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway.

Josh

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:44 AM
  • more than likely it's ON THE SERVER SIDE ANYWAY, if you want my guess.

Yes, of course.   We are just trying to find an effective workaround for that case.   BTW both Kathleen and Peter have been reporting that symptom for quite a while.   (That was just the latest thread where they were both comiserating. <eg>)   For most people an application of  InPrivate Browsing  (Ctrl-Shift-P)  is usually sufficient, but not all.   Then, you could try the latest suggestion from Kathleen.   At one point Microsoft thought that they had found a way to reproduce it but I doubt that this is the case any more.   It seems it's a "This should never happen." sort of problem.   FWIW I doubt this is really a problem with the forums either.   E.g. I think it is more likely a problem with Live ID, which has a different support team.   Thus there can be "finger-pointing" with the end-user stuck in the middle between two teams that can't decide how to diagnose let alone fix the symptom.   ;  }

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:44 AM
  • more than likely it's ON THE SERVER SIDE ANYWAY, if you want my guess.

Yes, of course.   We are just trying to find an effective workaround for that case.   BTW both Kathleen and Peter have been reporting that symptom for quite a while.   (That was just the latest thread where they were both comiserating. <eg>)   For most people an application of  InPrivate Browsing  (Ctrl-Shift-P)  is usually sufficient, but not all.   Then, you could try the latest suggestion from Kathleen.  

At one point Microsoft thought that they had found a way to reproduce it but I doubt that this is the case any more.   It seems it's a "This should never happen." sort of problem.   FWIW I doubt this is really a problem with the forums either.   E.g. I think it is more likely a problem with Live ID, which has a different support team.   Thus there can be "finger-pointing" with the end-user stuck in the middle between two teams that can't decide how to diagnose let alone fix the symptom.   ;  }

You mean this thread?  I wish I had seen it at the time, I would have chimed in.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/b72def1e-344d-4adf-9be3-e550bdb977d6

Well I can reproduce the failure all day, I worked with Brent and support staff on this a year or so ago and - nothing got fixed.  And now it got worse.  I was using InPrivate until this latest update, it no longer works for me.

So what is this "Windows LiveID Signin Assistant", where do I check to see if I have it installed?

Yes, I can see it's probably related to the live id login site-flipping code, but I just cannot imagine (any better than they can!) how just a few of us get so lucky it doesn't work.  And I agree, it's probably a "this should never happen" thing, but GOOD CODING means you put alerts there, you don't just toss it anyway, and CERTAINLY when you get complaints you go back and PUT more checks in, and when YOU ARE ALREADY GENERATING ERRORS AND PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING you don't suppress the error THAT YOU ARE SEEING and leave the problem!

Even now it generates server side errors with a polite page telling me the site may be down or yada yada.  Surely they have logs of these errors and can trace back from there, or can at least generate a management report that THEY HAVE A PROBLEM TO FIX?

Frustrated.

Josh

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:49 PM
  • So what is this "Windows LiveID Signin Assistant", where do I check to see if I have it installed?

In a cmd window:

sc.exe  queryex  wlidsvc

So if you wanted to try my last suggestion to Kathleen, you could stop it,

net stop wlidsvc

and if that's not enough

sc.exe  config wlidsvc start= disabled

first.

Or just use  services.msc   ; )

Or before that you could try disabling the associated IE Add-ons.   There is an obvious one which is usually always showing and a less obvious one which only shows when you ask to see them all.   One is an ActiveX and one is a BHO but I can't remember which is which.   It's the ...Control which is usually hidden...  Oh.  Something's changed?   No more ...Control.   YMMV.    I used to think that it was the more important component which provided the greatest usability in a multiple LiveID management scenario.   But that bit of functionality was in a great deal of flux last year.   They took it away and then they partially gave it back.   Looks like the implementation changed then too.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:45 AM
  • I don't have the assistant.

Josh

Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:15 AM