Sync Framework, Odata and no access to remote system RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have the task to sync ( that means "read from remote db if new data available and write into local db" ) a (local) MS SQL
    Server db with a remote db which is accessible via Odata. This is the only way to access that db, I have no control over
    the remote system at all. As far as I know there is no Sync framework running on the remote server. After searching the
    web I noticed the Sync Framework, which seems pretty neat. I already read some docs, but couldn´t find any hint yet
    whether it is applicable in my case ( no control over the remote system ). Could anyone make a suggestion ?

Thank you very much in advance

• Edited by 0kb Friday, February 15, 2013 9:36 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 9:34 PM

All replies

• if the only way you can connect to the remote database is via OData, you will have to build your own custom sync provider to specifically talk to that interface.

having said that, does your remote database even track changes? how do you know inserts, updates and deletes since the last sync?

Friday, February 15, 2013 11:48 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. Obviously I don´t know enough about the Sync Framework. As far as I know, the remote db doesn´t
    track changes (Its hard to get answers from the guys running that db). I thought it would be somehow possible that I don´t
    have to poll for changes on my own. I had the hope that its somehow possible to "give" the Sync Framework the Odata
    connection, the local db and to specify an update interval ( I know that it is not that easy in real life :) .

Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:54 PM
  • if the source itself doesn't track changes, how can Sync Fx infer the changes? 

Sync Fx works on the concept of incremental changes or what has changed since the last sync. 

It's not like trying to get diff between the two replicas and synchronizing the differences.

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:27 PM