Packard bell supplied PC Activation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Desperate to get Windows XP Home SP2 reinstalled on my PC as supplied by PC World (Packard Bell). I've removed the XP installation *** that they hide in a partition on the hard drive before knowing this is the only way to reinstall Windows according to packard bell.

I have a legal windows XP Home CD (not the key) and a legal key on the side of my PC however I can not activate with this key. Apparently the key may only work with a very certain type of OEM CD (Packard bells no doubt) or installation media (that partition)

There must be a way to activate this. It should be outright illegal for OEM's to costcut in this manner and claim to supply Windows XP Home when in fact they're basically not. I could therefore take them to court surely....

I cant phone MS as I'm disabled and can not use the phone. Nor can I afford to purchase the relevant DVD from Packard bell or another license from MS. Either way, why should I : I've already bought it in a manner of speaking.

Any ideas? :| Diag report follows

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-FYYD3-D9TKG-JH6YT
    Windows Product Key Hash: +7ZGpMU6ktjhGvI+/BudGbJ9bPw=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2161452-18342
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: MXDXWB
    ID: 99b840df-cdcd-41ce-854c-e11351444466
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    Cache refresh Interval: 20 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>99b840df-cdcd-41ce-854c-e11351444466</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JH6YT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2161452-18342</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1220945662-117609710-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Packard Bell NEC</Manufacturer><Model>00000000000000000000000</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>V4.4</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20041002000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>696839C70184205F</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Saturday, July 29, 2006 5:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have the CD because I borrowed it from a friend who's currently not here.

I just find it sickening that people like Packard Bell and PC World get away with this sort of practice - something I will be taking further against the Trade Descriptions Act, but that's not something for this forum.

For the time being I just need to legalise this computer's Windows installation and I'm sure as hell not being victimised by the likes of Packard Bell to do that. I'm also fairly aware that MS (as they have shown by ignoring this post so far) will do next to nothing because of the supplier involved.

I fully understand what that partition was for, probably moreso than Packard Bell do. The cause of the problem is the utter *** that P. Bell provide with their Windows installations - hence not wanting to reinstall from any ghosted partition/backup system. I think my best option is to walk into PC World later today and lay down the law : supply me a retail or OEM XP Home installation media and COA or face further action regarding false advertisement.

In either case, I'll probably have to work around it any way possible for the time being. If MS have a problem with it, they can take it up with PC World.
    Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:46 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, I have already been contacted by some very helpful chaps at MS UK and they have furnished me with a new, working key.
    DAN - You're sounding a little irate : maybe you should stop jumping on folks before knowing the entire situation. I might not have explained myself as clearly as I should. I knew of the parition and it's use. I did not know that it would stop you using another copy of the same Windows with the supplied key. As I had already mentioned, this is something they neglect to inform you, even in the copius amounts of small print. They of course assume that everyone is conformant to their expectations and they will never attempt to try something else.

I did not buy the PC. My father in law did. I helped him choose the specs etc at the time. Normally I would have built a system myself and furnished him with the warranties that each individual part would provide, rather than the warranty that comes with the package, however for ease of time and for his own benefit (and so I didn't get phonecalls every 2 minutes) we settled on this system.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank MS, not only for handling the matter very quickly (2 working days with the delay on my part) but for handling it like humans rather than the robots like so many companies and equipment manufacturers.
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:26 PM

All replies

• Kryten,

We all make mistakes, looks like you have too regarding deleting the hidden recovery partition without really understanding what it is for.  Another poster mentioned that PB charges a lot more money for its recovery CDs/DVDs than do many other computer manufacturers.

The Packard Bell Product Key as printed on the Certificate of Authenticity is only there for when you have to reinstall or reactivate the originally supplied XP installation on the Packard Bell computer and is not intended for any other purpose.

Not sure why you would have a genuine MS XP Home CDROM but not have the Product Key that came with it.  Assuming this is a retail license of XP, do you have any other materials that came with the CD, such as the Certificate of Authenticity, the nice pretty box that it all came in, or the equally pretty CD holder folder?  If you have any of that stuff and say a sales receipt, you may be able to get a replacement Product Key from Microsoft.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

I have the CD because I borrowed it from a friend who's currently not here.

I just find it sickening that people like Packard Bell and PC World get away with this sort of practice - something I will be taking further against the Trade Descriptions Act, but that's not something for this forum.

For the time being I just need to legalise this computer's Windows installation and I'm sure as hell not being victimised by the likes of Packard Bell to do that. I'm also fairly aware that MS (as they have shown by ignoring this post so far) will do next to nothing because of the supplier involved.

I fully understand what that partition was for, probably moreso than Packard Bell do. The cause of the problem is the utter *** that P. Bell provide with their Windows installations - hence not wanting to reinstall from any ghosted partition/backup system. I think my best option is to walk into PC World later today and lay down the law : supply me a retail or OEM XP Home installation media and COA or face further action regarding false advertisement.

In either case, I'll probably have to work around it any way possible for the time being. If MS have a problem with it, they can take it up with PC World.
    Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:46 AM
  • Kryten,

So, let me get this straight....

You knew what the recovery partition's function was, and yet you deleted it anyway.  Presumably, since you seem to be aware of the details, you knew that PB's standard procedure is to supply recovery data on a partition and not on a CD.

I am just wondering why, if you despise "ghosted partition/backup system" so much, did you buy a PB computer at all if you knew this was their method?  Why not just buy a brand whose recovery practices are more to your liking?

I also fail to understand why you think MS should do something more that nothing in this case.  What should they have done?

Monday, July 31, 2006 1:10 AM
  • KrytenofSmeg,

follow this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890&sd=techh, after that go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and click "validate".  You should be good to go. If not, please run the diagnostics program again, and post the results here.

Thanks,

Monday, July 31, 2006 3:54 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, I have already been contacted by some very helpful chaps at MS UK and they have furnished me with a new, working key.
    DAN - You're sounding a little irate : maybe you should stop jumping on folks before knowing the entire situation. I might not have explained myself as clearly as I should. I knew of the parition and it's use. I did not know that it would stop you using another copy of the same Windows with the supplied key. As I had already mentioned, this is something they neglect to inform you, even in the copius amounts of small print. They of course assume that everyone is conformant to their expectations and they will never attempt to try something else.

I did not buy the PC. My father in law did. I helped him choose the specs etc at the time. Normally I would have built a system myself and furnished him with the warranties that each individual part would provide, rather than the warranty that comes with the package, however for ease of time and for his own benefit (and so I didn't get phonecalls every 2 minutes) we settled on this system.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank MS, not only for handling the matter very quickly (2 working days with the delay on my part) but for handling it like humans rather than the robots like so many companies and equipment manufacturers.
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:26 PM
  •  KrytenofSmeg wrote:

>snip<

DAN - You're sounding a little irate : maybe you should stop jumping on folks before knowing the entire situation. I might not have explained myself as clearly as I should.

>snip<

Who?  Me?  Irate?  Nah, you have to go to the Feedback and Comments section to see the "irate" me!!  LOL

Those are the limitations of a forum, all we know is what we can read.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it ironed out and that the MS staff got you fixed up and going again.  Good Luck!

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 8:00 PM