Onecare Discontinued!!! RRS feed

• Question

• You've got to be kidding me!  This is the second Microsoft product that I really liked and it's getting discontinued.  I have one question...WHY!

I purchased Tax Saver when it came out only to find the very next year it was discontinued  I thought this was a great, easy to use product.  Now after two years of OneCare I find it's getting discontinued.  This pisses me off to no end.  At least with Microsoft I had trust in that it would work flawlessly with my Microsoft OS's.  I wanted to upgrade to Windows 7 and was looking to see if OneCare was supported yet.  I guess not!

Now I have to either wait 9-10 months for my onecare to expire or bite the bullet and spend another 60 bucks to go back to PandaSoft Anti-Virus (which I liked a lot before changing to OneCare).  Does anyone have a better suggestion?   Forget Nortons or McAfee.  I don't trust them at all.

Should have changed the name OneCare to WhoCares because this is how I feel now.

Did I mention it pisses me off?  Should I give MS another chance to discontinue something else that I really like?  Once, shame on you.  Twice, Shame on me.  Three time, I don't know what three times is but I'm sure it's not good.  :)

Frustrated,
    James
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:52 AM

Answers

• If you'd take the time to ask you'd discover that the replacement for OneCare will be a free product called Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) that will also be free and available everywhere that OneCare now is, and eventually everywhere that Windows itself is available.

Though MSE will not include any of the extras such as backup, firewall, Hub/Circle or WiFi protection, most of these aren't necessary with the newer OS like Windows 7, since they either already include them or simply don't require them.  OneCare was really just a 'filler' intended to get over the hump with Windows XP until most users moved to one of the newer OS with their inherently better security.

Though sometimes products are simply dropped because they didn't sell or for even less understandable reasons, it really makes sense for Microsoft to drop OneCare over the next year as Windows 7 is released.  Replacing it with a simpler, less resource intensive and free product that provides only the basic protection that's required should allow more users to protect themselves with less investment by both them and Microsoft.

There are links to more information in a couple posts at the top of this forum.

Rob
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:26 AM

All replies

• If you'd take the time to ask you'd discover that the replacement for OneCare will be a free product called Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) that will also be free and available everywhere that OneCare now is, and eventually everywhere that Windows itself is available.

Though MSE will not include any of the extras such as backup, firewall, Hub/Circle or WiFi protection, most of these aren't necessary with the newer OS like Windows 7, since they either already include them or simply don't require them.  OneCare was really just a 'filler' intended to get over the hump with Windows XP until most users moved to one of the newer OS with their inherently better security.

Though sometimes products are simply dropped because they didn't sell or for even less understandable reasons, it really makes sense for Microsoft to drop OneCare over the next year as Windows 7 is released.  Replacing it with a simpler, less resource intensive and free product that provides only the basic protection that's required should allow more users to protect themselves with less investment by both them and Microsoft.

There are links to more information in a couple posts at the top of this forum.

Rob
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:26 AM
  • When I try downloading MSE, it says I can't.  It says "We are not accepting additional participants at this time."  My OneCare is about to run out.  So what can I do?
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 2:10 PM
  • When I try downloading MSE, it says I can't.  It says "We are not accepting additional participants at this time."  My OneCare is about to run out.  So what can I do?

Your OneCare subscription will be automatically renewed if MSE is not yet released by the time your subscription expires. It will not cost you anything for the extension.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:39 AM
  • One of the computers in my OneCare circle is XP.  Will MSE work on it?  If not, what is the alternative?
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:01 AM
  • One of the computers in my OneCare circle is XP.  Will MSE work on it?  If not, what is the alternative?
    Yes, MSE will work on XP 32 bit, Vista 32 and 64 bit, and Windows 7 32 and 64 bit.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Sorry guys but Microsoft Security Essentials looks like a joke next to OneCare.
    The interface of MSE looks so unattractive, I really love the way OneCare looks!
    If you guys wanted to have a free antivirus why didn't you just offer a free version of OneCare?
    That would have kept us happy and you wouldn't have to work on a new inferior antivirus.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Sorry guys but Microsoft Security Essentials looks like a joke next to OneCare.
    The interface of MSE looks so unattractive, I really love the way OneCare looks!
    If you guys wanted to have a free antivirus why didn't you just offer a free version of OneCare?
    That would have kept us happy and you wouldn't have to work on a new inferior antivirus.

The engine and protection in MSE is based on the same one used by Forefront and OneCare. The interface may not be all that attractive, but it provides excellent protection based on recent tests and reviews. It is at least as good as OneCare. And, keep in mind that OneCare brings a whole bunch of other stuff to the table that is not included in MSE.
    -steve
    Monday, September 14, 2009 11:30 AM
  • The engine and protection in MSE is based on the same one used by Forefront and OneCare. The interface may not be all that attractive, but it provides excellent protection based on recent tests and reviews. It is at least as good as OneCare. And, keep in mind that OneCare brings a whole bunch of other stuff to the table that is not included in MSE.
    -steve

So then why is it being eliminated?
    Monday, September 14, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Quite simply because the numbers just aren't there.

The entire reason Microsoft got into the security business in the first place was to provide for as many of the 60% of users without any current protection (out of date, non-operational or simply none at all) as possible.  Though OneCare is popular with most of those who really tried it, as you already know, the numbers I've heard external to Microsoft are something like 2%.

Much of this is due to user apathy and/or simply not being willing to pay anything for protection.

Since OneCare has a fairly large back-end server support and development structure, it's obvious that the cost must also be significant.  By dropping all but the core anti-malware, using the Microsoft/Windows Update structure as the other MS security products already do, and sharing as much of the same supporting infrastructure as possible the costs for MSE are also quite obviously much less.

Though it's counter-intuitive, even providing the product for free reduces cost, since the Windows Live support for OneCare subscriptions also added significant overhead to both the product support and development costs, as well as the installed program itself (.NET).  The issue of payment systems also created cost, since many countries don't have these systems (credit cards) in place, which limited delivery to only 17 countries for OneCare.

So a simple cost benefit analysis by an accountant, engineer and marketing would quickly determine that MSE makes far more sense to achieve the original goal to penetrate as much of that remaining 60% as possible far more effectively than trying to scale OneCare.

Everybody says they don't know why, but that's bull, because it's obvious.  It was simple economics in a time of world-wide economic stress for everyone involved, Microsoft and its customers.

Rob
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:47 AM
  • I'll just note that I agree with Rob's assessment, but it is our opinion, not facts as presented by anyone at Microsoft. We're also just end users of OneCare.
    -steve
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:32 PM