Is Read Only Enough? RRS feed

• Question

• In regard to the data corruption issue, if I were to mark all of my shares "Read-only" on the WHS, and only transfer files through explorer or command line, is this enough to be protected while using a program such as "MyMovies" or Windows Media Player? 

I have read the KB article, but I am just a little confused (read: want to be 100% sure I didn't MIS-read) what it is saying. 

In other words:

Don't transfer or save files with the troubled software that is listed, but as long as the files are already on the server, and they are read-only, they will be fine.  Is this accurate?  I would imagine WMP can't alter even meta data when the files are read only, can it?  It's been 5 years since my last networking/administrative class or task, so I am a little rusty :-).

Hope this makes sense.  I know the best course of action is to just sit and wait, but I have this brand new WHS sitting in a box in my office staring me down and I want to use it.  And I know if I set it up I am not going to be able to stop with just backups :-)

Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:45 AM

Answers

• Yes, that's correct. It's one of several recommended approaches to the file corruption issue.
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 3:22 AM