One Care backup drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have been backing up my OneCare on an hp dvd writer for years. When I tried to backup a few days ago,I recieved a message drive not found.
    Nether my internal TDK or my external HP showup on the list. My Computer shows both drives and XP showes both working fine.
    Why is it One Care can not find them. If I use an external hard drive One Care will recognize it.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you changed the backup location from DVD to external hard drive and want to change the location again you will have to reset your backup plan. How to reset a backup plan - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/5f18a60d-add4-4ff2-87cf-021db7e81917
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Thanks but it did not work.  Now at least a DVD drive shows up in the one care list of devices.
    It still says it can not find the device. Is there any way I can preform a completly new backup. When I select backup in one care it starts to proceede as though it is just adding latest files since last backup. Maybe if I do a completly new backup it may work.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:50 PM
  • When you reset a backup plan a new full backup is necessary.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Thanks but it did not work.  Now at least a DVD drive shows up in the one care list of devices.
    It still says it can not find the device. Is there any way I can preform a completly new backup. When I select backup in one care it starts to proceede as though it is just adding latest files since last backup. Maybe if I do a completly new backup it may work.

If you follow the instruction in the post linked to by Jim, you are going to turn off backup, save the plan, then configure backup anew, selecting the destination, what to backup, and the schedule. It will require a new full backup once you have saved the new plan. If it wants to proceed with the old backup plan, you did not reset the backup.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:17 PM
  • I went to the web sit and printed the instructions. I followed them setp by step. I tried backup again,same thing.
    I locates the files to be backed up then proceeds to start backup,after 2% Irecieve an error message stating it can not locate the drive.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:24 PM
  • Sorry that it is giving you such a hard time. :-( Your best bet at this point may be to contact support:
    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:09 PM