none
what is windows home server login? RRS feed

• Question

• When I set up my HP MediaSmart Server, I was never asked for a preferred login name.  I reset the server to repeat the install thinking I had missed it somewhere but it never was.  I was asked for a password that I carefully noted.  When I try to access the server, I get the Windows Home Server sign-in screen which of course asks me for the login and password info.  What I am missing?  How do I select a login and password? 
    I am using Vista home premium on three Gateway computers.  I do have an XP computer on the network.  Will it help if I start there instead of on one of the gateways with Vista?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:28 AM

Answers

• You're not missing anything. Your server is designed to function correctly without logging in to a desktop session (via physical console or Remote Desktop). The only supported access methods are the Windows Home Server Console application, the file shares, and the remote access web site. Can you let us know what you're trying to do? Perhaps there's a way to achieve it without logging in to a desktop session.

That said, the password you created as part of setup is for the built-in Administrator account.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    you will need to install the Connector Software fresh on a client PC from the CD delivered with your server.
    This will start the OOBE for server configuration.
    Best greetings from Germany  
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:43 AM
  • You're not missing anything. Your server is designed to function correctly without logging in to a desktop session (via physical console or Remote Desktop). The only supported access methods are the Windows Home Server Console application, the file shares, and the remote access web site. Can you let us know what you're trying to do? Perhaps there's a way to achieve it without logging in to a desktop session.

That said, the password you created as part of setup is for the built-in Administrator account.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:04 PM