No wireless connections tab found??? RRS feed

• Question

• I have no Idea whats going on here. I have had this pc for about 5 years now, naver had a problem with it until now. I Just purchased a D-Link router and wireless card to go with it. I could not find the wireless router signal. So I contacted tech support for the router, who told me that there is a problem with me OS they told me to click on the wireless connections tab in the network connections section. When I said that there was no such tab they told me to contact Windows tech support?? Is this tab on every version of XP, maybe I told them I have a version of XP that I really dont have? Any feedback would be appreciated,

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:38 AM

All replies

• These forums are for Windows Home Server - you'll get better help for this in the Windows forums.
    That said, from the sounds of things, the drivers for the wireless card either didn't install correctly, or you didn't install them at all.  For (obvious, I hope) reasons, the wireless connections icon (the one for your wireless adapter) isn't going to show up if the card isn't installed correctly.
    Also, did you install just the drivers, or the drivers + wireless config utility?  Those tend to be a bit flakey - I've had best results installing just the card driver, and using the Windows built-in wireless config utility.

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:53 AM
  • Thanks for your insight. The software that came with the router and card is garbage at least thats what their tech support told me. As for the WZC thats the tab that im referring to when I say is not there. Tech support told me to go to wireless network connections\ select my wireless network im trying to connect to and click properties\wireless connections tab,(which is missing )? I dont know.

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:05 AM
  • The tech is overthinking things.  WZC isn't something that you interact with directly - it's a background service.
    Does the wireless adapter show up in Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections?
    If it does:  right-click the adapter > properties > 'general' tab, and check both boxes (Show icon... and Notify me...), click OK. 
    Right-click the wireless icon in your system tray, and select "connect to a network." 
    If this doesn't work:  start > run > services.msc  See if the Wireless Zero Config Service is set to automatic, and is running.  If it's not (on either count), right-click the service, and change as necessary.

You did uninstall the card's software, reboot, and install just the driver, yes?
    And, as for the router's software - that, in general, isn't necessary.  Anything that the router setup program can do, you can generally do manually (and, more reliably.)

Oh, and:  let's make sure that the router is properly configured, and the wireless section is running, before messing around with the newly-wireless PC.  You do have at least one machine connected via Cat5 to the router, yes?

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:54 PM