PS2010 how to remove windows account from a user / How to delete the user aspect of a resource RRS feed

• Question

• The client i am working with have scenario's where a user will leave the company but may come back (contractors or moving job roles). Their process is to disable the windows account and their user account is disabled in pwa. All fine.

When the user comes back they are given a new employee ID so require a different resource name within project server but they keep the windows account. This create the problem in pwa of attempting to have 2 users with the same windows account.

It used to be fine because you could set the windows account on the inactive resource to be garbage and the system would except it. Now the system validates any NT account to see if it is valid.

Is this a "bug" that ha been fixed in a recent update?

How can I work with this situation?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:40 AM

Answers

• The IT needs to create a user account that is different than the previous.  If they create a new user account with the same name, it has a different security token associated with it.  If they create a new user account, then you can replace his past account with the new account.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:28 PM

All replies

• Paul,

I think one way to handle this would be go to Resource Center >> Pick the Old Resource name and uncheck the box, which says "Logon to Project Server". This will make them a 'resource' and not a 'user', and hence will not associate a windows NT account.

Then you can add in the new resource and add NT account to make them an user.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:51 PM
  • This doesn't work in 2010. You can go into the user and stop the user being a resource but it would appear that once a resource becomes a user it is a user forever.

I have played on a dev box with deleting the NT account from the published database but this is unsuported by MS so not a viable option.

Friday, July 1, 2011 12:27 PM
  • The IT needs to create a user account that is different than the previous.  If they create a new user account with the same name, it has a different security token associated with it.  If they create a new user account, then you can replace his past account with the new account.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:28 PM