PP1 Install apears to have changed Router Settings RRS feed

• Question

• In installed PP1 without a hitch.  The new connectors also installed on my clients with very little problem.  The one unexplained change/problem that has occurred has been with my router configuration.  Where before the install of PP1 each of my router configuration steps were working fine, after the installation the "Configuring your router" section has the status of configured but not verified.  Apparently WHS still knows that my router supports UPnP but it does not recognize the port forwarding properly.  I have a Dlink DIR-655 and it has been performing perfectly as far as I can tell.  On the install of WHS originally, I did have to manually set up the port forwarding rules.  But after I got them in everything worked fine.  After finding this problem with PP1 I reset the router, re inputted the port forwarding rules but WHS still does not get passed the router configuration test without issuing an alert.

Does anyone have ideas about this?  Do you think this rises to the level of a bug?  Is anyone else using at Dlink DIR-655?

Thanks
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:18 AM

Answers

•  TommKY wrote:
    In installed PP1 without a hitch.  The new connectors also installed on my clients with very little problem.  The one unexplained change/problem that has occurred has been with my router configuration.  Where before the install of PP1 each of my router configuration steps were working fine, after the installation the "Configuring your router" section has the status of configured but not verified.  Apparently WHS still knows that my router supports UPnP but it does not recognize the port forwarding properly.  I have a Dlink DIR-655 and it has been performing perfectly as far as I can tell.  On the install of WHS originally, I did have to manually set up the port forwarding rules.  But after I got them in everything worked fine.  After finding this problem with PP1 I reset the router, re inputted the port forwarding rules but WHS still does not get passed the router configuration test without issuing an alert.

Does anyone have ideas about this?  Do you think this rises to the level of a bug?  Is anyone else using at Dlink DIR-655?

Thanks

I have a D-Link DIR655 with port forwarding configured manually. It has given me no problems (I don't trust UPnP). I installed PP1 the day it was released and have been using WHS as normal since. No issues at all.

I think the team has done a good job with PP1. I am looking forward to the final release.

Cruise
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:58 PM
  • Just for the record, my problem was soley with the router. I did two firmware updates on my router and that is where the problem turned out to be from. That is what i meant at the time when asked if i had bugged, i replied that i didn't know where the bug was. I was getting the errors without powerpack installed as well. I manually fowared port 80/80,443/443,and 4125/4125 to my server address. That solved the verifying  problem. Then i went from yellow to red, but that is for a different thread. Anyway not a bug in powerpack for me.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:48 PM
  • Enable Enable Disabled
    Name
    Protocol
    Private Port 

Public Port 
    LAN Server

Name Protocol LAN Server
    Virtual Server FTP TCP 21/21 0.0.0.0
    Virtual Server HTTP TCP 80/80 192.168.1.104
    Virtual Server HTTPS TCP 443/443 192.168.1.104
    Virtual Server DNS UDP 53/53 0.0.0.0
    Virtual Server SMTP TCP 25/25 0.0.0.0
    Virtual Server POP3 TCP 110/110 0.0.0.0
    Virtual Server Telnet TCP 23/23 0.0.0.0
    IPSec UDP 500/500 0.0.0.0
    PPTP TCP 1723/1723 0.0.0.0
    NetMeeting TCP 1720/1720 0.0.0.0
    Remote Desktop Proxy TCP 4125/4125 192.168.1.104

If you can see the names and address's of all computers See what your server address is and enable port 80 443 and 4125. Port 4125 wasn't in my router settings by default. I had to add it manually The reason they are 80/80 443/443 4125/4125 if you look at the top of my settings, you will see a private port and a public port 80 443 and 4125 is enanled in both

rich- 192.168.1.102
    kathy 192.168.1.101
    server 192.168.1.105
    server2 192.168.1.104
    Friday, July 11, 2008 12:00 PM

All replies

• I think that anything that no longer works or is having issues after installing PP1 is worth submitting a bug report on.

Andrew

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:25 AM
  • I am having similar problem with a trendnet tew-432brp router. My problem started after securing a machine that is running wireless. I do not know if it is a power pack problem or router or both, anyway i am reproducing your bug

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:21 AM
  • I am having the exact same issue. How do I remove PP1?
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:16 PM
  • Did anybody on this thread bother to file a bug with repro steps?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:59 PM
  •  TommKY wrote:
    In installed PP1 without a hitch.  The new connectors also installed on my clients with very little problem.  The one unexplained change/problem that has occurred has been with my router configuration.  Where before the install of PP1 each of my router configuration steps were working fine, after the installation the "Configuring your router" section has the status of configured but not verified.  Apparently WHS still knows that my router supports UPnP but it does not recognize the port forwarding properly.  I have a Dlink DIR-655 and it has been performing perfectly as far as I can tell.  On the install of WHS originally, I did have to manually set up the port forwarding rules.  But after I got them in everything worked fine.  After finding this problem with PP1 I reset the router, re inputted the port forwarding rules but WHS still does not get passed the router configuration test without issuing an alert.

Thanks

I have the exact same router as you.  There are two things you should choose from.  First, I personally would use the UPnP setting because it works well with mine.  After updating to PP1 you will need to unconfigure then re-setup the router with the UPnP setting. 

Your second option would be to use the manual setting and just click unconfigure for the router option. 

I don't see a reason to file a bug here unless neither of these two options work.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:01 PM
  • I had the same problem but It started working after I went thru details.  It just may be you have to wait a few minutes.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:14 AM
  • Not verifing router and domain doesn't prevent me from opening my home server site
     so i have not filed a bug because i am still trying to figure out where the bug is
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:08 AM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

TommKY wrote:

Thanks

I have the exact same router as you.  There are two things you should choose from.  First, I personally would use the UPnP setting because it works well with mine.  After updating to PP1 you will need to unconfigure then re-setup the router with the UPnP setting. 

Your second option would be to use the manual setting and just click unconfigure for the router option. 

I don't see a reason to file a bug here unless neither of these two options work.

Can you give us steps on setting up the router?
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:22 PM
  •  TommKY wrote:

Thanks

I have a D-Link DIR655 with port forwarding configured manually. It has given me no problems (I don't trust UPnP). I installed PP1 the day it was released and have been using WHS as normal since. No issues at all.

I think the team has done a good job with PP1. I am looking forward to the final release.

Cruise
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:58 PM
  • Just for the record, my problem was soley with the router. I did two firmware updates on my router and that is where the problem turned out to be from. That is what i meant at the time when asked if i had bugged, i replied that i didn't know where the bug was. I was getting the errors without powerpack installed as well. I manually fowared port 80/80,443/443,and 4125/4125 to my server address. That solved the verifying  problem. Then i went from yellow to red, but that is for a different thread. Anyway not a bug in powerpack for me.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:48 PM
  •  B. Greezie wrote:
     Joel Burt wrote:

TommKY wrote:

Thanks

Can you give us steps on setting up the router?

I have the GamerLounge DGL-4500 D-Link which is very similar to the DIR-655 and have the same popup warning about the port forwarding issue. The original install for WHS setup the Dlink without a hitch, but as several people are reporting, the PP1 seems to have changed something in the router. I too wish I could come across a simplified step by step process for getting rid of the warnings. If I knew exactly what the issue was, I would also file a bug report.

Carl

Friday, July 4, 2008 3:52 PM
  •  Bubba_C wrote:
    I have the GamerLounge DGL-4500 D-Link which is very similar to the DIR-655 and have the same popup warning about the port forwarding issue. The original install for WHS setup the Dlink without a hitch, but as several people are reporting, the PP1 seems to have changed something in the router. I too wish I could come across a simplified step by step process for getting rid of the warnings. If I knew exactly what the issue was, I would also file a bug report.

Carl

You can file a bug report on Connect without knowing exactly what caused it.  Just explain what you did and hopefully the WHS can repro it and fix it.

Friday, July 4, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Cruiseman:

Would you mind sharing your router setting with me?  I still have not been able to make my router work for remote access.

Thanks

Tom

tomm8446@yahoo.com
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:27 AM
  • Enable Enable Disabled
    Name
    Protocol
    Private Port 

Public Port 
    LAN Server

Name Protocol LAN Server
    Virtual Server FTP TCP 21/21 0.0.0.0
    Virtual Server HTTP TCP 80/80 192.168.1.104
    Virtual Server HTTPS TCP 443/443 192.168.1.104
    Virtual Server DNS UDP 53/53 0.0.0.0
    Virtual Server SMTP TCP 25/25 0.0.0.0
    Virtual Server POP3 TCP 110/110 0.0.0.0
    Virtual Server Telnet TCP 23/23 0.0.0.0
    IPSec UDP 500/500 0.0.0.0
    PPTP TCP 1723/1723 0.0.0.0
    NetMeeting TCP 1720/1720 0.0.0.0
    Remote Desktop Proxy TCP 4125/4125 192.168.1.104

If you can see the names and address's of all computers See what your server address is and enable port 80 443 and 4125. Port 4125 wasn't in my router settings by default. I had to add it manually The reason they are 80/80 443/443 4125/4125 if you look at the top of my settings, you will see a private port and a public port 80 443 and 4125 is enanled in both

rich- 192.168.1.102
    kathy 192.168.1.101
    server 192.168.1.105
    server2 192.168.1.104
    Friday, July 11, 2008 12:00 PM
  •  TommKY wrote:
    Cruiseman:

Would you mind sharing your router setting with me?  I still have not been able to make my router work for remote access.

Thanks

Tom

tomm8446@yahoo.com

I emailed you a screen capture. Can't figure out how to include a graphic in the forum. If someone can answer me on that one, I'm interested.

Cruise
    Friday, July 11, 2008 9:49 PM
  • I posted my router settings this morning. If you emailed me it must have went to my junk mail and i emptied it earlier. Or haven't got it yet. My router settings are not a screen shot. It is text, that is why my mac address's are not showing and the two computers whole name is not showing. I deleted them. My server names are right. If you notice i have two servers running, but only one configured in the router. server 2

Try copying and pasting your router interface and see if that works. I might could be a little more detailed if we had exact same router. I have no idea what your router interface looks like.

Where i set my ports up is.main page/click access/click virtual server. Let me know if you get it fixed or not. We will keep working on it until we do.

We can give out but we can''t give up

MAC Filter
    Disabled MAC Filters
    Only allow computers with MAC address listed below to access the network
    Only deny computers with MAC address listed below to access the network

MAC Table
    Name
    MAC Address
    - - - - -

Name MAC Address Connection

Saturday, July 12, 2008 1:05 AM