Cannot share WHS connected 'NON-Storage Pool' drives on home network. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I am new to WHS and this MS forum.  After many hours of searching the web and online forums I still have not been able to find the information I need to make ‘NON-storage pool’ drives connected to the WHS, visible/accessible on my little P2P network.  The WHS unit already has the same workgroup name as all my other home computers (Windows 7, Vista and XP) and I have no problem with network shares and access on those other units.  And of course, I have no problem viewing/accessing the WHS ‘Shared Storage Pool’ shares through the network.  Again, all I want is network access the ‘NON-Storage Pool’ connected drives through my home network (and not being restricted to Remote Desktop access only).

Using ‘Remote Desktop’ I have manually setup the share properties of the connected USB external drive (currently designated as a ‘Server Backup hard Drive’ in the ‘WHS Console’).

Because this is not a ‘storage pool’ drive I made all my attempts at sharing this drive on the network, not through the WHS Console but via manual attempts using Remote Desktop.  I noted that when I am in the drive’s ‘Sharing Properties’, clicking on the ‘Permissions’ button produces this pop-up notification, “This has been shared for administrative purposes.  The permissions cannot be set.”

However all the other network sharing options have been enabled, yet I still can’t see this drive when I click on the WHS network icon.

I would REALLY appreciate any help/suggestions you could offer, assuming that what I want to do is possible with WHS (v-1).

I realize this might not be a ‘supported’ function but if it is do-able, I just want to know how.  Also please note that I have specific reasons for not wanting to add this drive to the ‘pool’, yet still want have it network accessible.

Thank you all kindly in advance for your time and assistance.

Rui Belo

computer.aid@bell.net

go-compu.net@live.ca

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:28 PM

All replies

• Create a new share in addition to the one for "administrative purposes."  The new share will show in "Shared Folders" when you click on the Shared Folders Icon, both on the client and WHS.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hello:

I am new to WHS and this MS forum.  After many hours of searching the web and online forums I still have not been able to find the information I need to make �??NON-storage pool�?? drives connected to the WHS, visible/accessible on my little P2P network.  The WHS unit already has the same workgroup name as all my other home computers (Windows 7, Vista and XP) and I have no problem with network shares and access on those other units.  And of course, I have no problem viewing/accessing the WHS �??Shared Storage Pool�?? shares through the network.  Again, all I want is network access the �??NON-Storage Pool�?? connected drives through my home network (and not being restricted to Remote Desktop access only).

Using �??Remote Desktop�?? I have manually setup the share properties of the connected USB external drive (currently designated as a �??Server Backup hard Drive�?? in the �??WHS Console�??).

Because this is not a �??storage pool�?? drive I made all my attempts at sharing this drive on the network, not through the WHS Console but via manual attempts using Remote Desktop.  I noted that when I am in the drive�??s �??Sharing Properties�??, clicking on the �??Permissions�?? button produces this pop-up notification, �??This has been shared for administrative purposes.  The permissions cannot be set.�?�

However all the other network sharing options have been enabled, yet I still can�??t see this drive when I click on the WHS network icon.

I would REALLY appreciate any help/suggestions you could offer, assuming that what I want to do is possible with WHS (v-1).

I realize this might not be a �??supported�?? function but if it is do-able, I just want to know how.  Also please note that I have specific reasons for not wanting to add this drive to the �??pool�??, yet still want have it network accessible.

Thank you all kindly in advance for your time and assistance.

Rui Belo

computer.aid@bell.net

go-compu.net@live.ca

BullDawg
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:42 PM