XP cannot reactivate - Error Code: 0X8007007F RRS feed

• Question

• A recent windows update on my 2003 initiated XP-Pro machine, somehow corrupted and different files such as windows installer didn't work. Am trying to do taxes. This machine has lots of EA games on it that were built for XP, so this machine has not been upgraded. So yesterday, some programs stopped working. There is no malware involved.

I did a slipstream repair using my slipstreamed original XP Pro disc with nlite (first used in 2012). Have done this before to repair windows critical files in the past - and little twerky problems that resolve with a slipstream repair

I'd like to finish taxes so I want to get the activation done so I can crunch numbers.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-G47WY-V6HMK-YWMKH
    Windows Product Key Hash: 6MGI0SDgofWRfGGzyVI6qYJM2+U=
    Windows Product ID: 55276-013-8453341-22165
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {1FE9ACBC-28C9-4E2E-9B1C-DBD70787166B}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1FE9ACBC-28C9-4E2E-9B1C-DBD70787166B}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YWMKH</PKey><PID>55276-013-8453341-22165</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1343024091-515967899-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MSI</Manufacturer><Model>MS-7681</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>V1.19</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="7"/><Date>20120307000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B988360F0184E07E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Friday, March 14, 2014 12:50 AM

Answers

• Noel, thank you.

I seem to have gotten my solution. The glitch was Windows Media Player.

Recap. A windows update in February started some dysfunction on my machine.
    Expression Web would not run. I could not run an uninstall/repair on it; the report was Windows installer was corrupted. A third party disk defrag could not work. My ISP provides Norton Security, and it could not run the file check, although the AV portion was running.

I did run SFC /SCANNOW and CHKDSK C: and there were no reported problems or repairs

I did a slipstream repair (with nlite). Immediately ran into problems with being unable to activate;which brought me here.

Some programs would not run (Expression Web, Pegasus Mail which both need internet access)

Here's the thing ...I only discovered this when I decided to create another ISO for nlite slipstream with all the current XP PRO patches embedded. While building the ISO =I inadvertently ran MP10 and it asked to update=.

My slipstream file to repair XP Pro SP3 had an update to Media Player 10 which did install, but as I did not run Media Player, it turns out my lack of running MP caused that it didn't download the updates or patches associated with MP 11.

After triggering the download... the magic began.

When it did update, it wanted a reboot. So I saved my nlite build in progress, rebooted, and once I was in windows, the activation online was =enabled= and I activated online without a problem,
    ---but the activation rectangle on the desktop remained. (the start menu and system tray 'activate' were gone)

After I rebooted again, then all the activation reminders went away.

It is fixed now.
    Windows installer now works correctly again, and I was able to repair Expression Web. It runs now.

I was able to run my mail program, at last. Other programs that developed a problem after the bad update in February also were able to run again.

IE is now correctly downloading the patches via windows updater.

So now I have a new nlite slipstream ISO to burn which will have all the patches to date. Nlite reports nearly 14M of files, over my previous ISO.

Everything seems to be working again so far.

Thanks for all you do to help us.
    • Marked as answer by Wagashigrrl Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:48 PM
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:46 PM

All replies

• Thank you, Carey.

I want to be sure I will be deleting the right update. Here is some more information on the behavior of the OS right now.

When the OS starts up, desktop loads normally. I click activate from the link in the start menu or the tray:
    ---------------------------
    Windows XP Setup
    Activate Windows cannot run because local scripting has been disabled on this computer.  Scripting may have been disabled for virus prevention or as a security measure.  Once local scripting has been enabled, run Activate Windows again.
    OK   

Regarding the error code:
    I go to IE browser, click Windows Update:
    (I hoped to manage the last downloads via IE)
    The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context.
    ------------------------
    OK   

While trying to run a third party program (pegasus mail) since that update, I get this error which mentions 0x8007007F. That program as it starts up loading all my folders, then 'crashes' and shuts down:
    The specified procedure could not be found (0x8007007F) @01CB7F0E

I was going to add a screenshot of my Add/Remove window, with one of the latest updates but I don't seem to be a confirmed user.

How do I know which updates to delete? Which ones affect the activation and the error for 0x8007007F ?

Since I cannot seem to use IE to manage and get the updates again. It would seem I have to go through the MS web system to find the KB messages that apply and download the updates that way, but it could end up being hours of searching for the right updates or repairing mistakes made in the effort.

Thank you.

Friday, March 14, 2014 9:08 PM
  • What Anti-Virus is currently installed?

What other AV programs have EVER been installed on this machine?

Have your tried running SFC /SCANNOW ?? - what results did you get?

Have you tried running CHKDSK C:  ?? - what results there?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Noel, thank you.

I seem to have gotten my solution. The glitch was Windows Media Player.

Recap. A windows update in February started some dysfunction on my machine.
    Expression Web would not run. I could not run an uninstall/repair on it; the report was Windows installer was corrupted. A third party disk defrag could not work. My ISP provides Norton Security, and it could not run the file check, although the AV portion was running.

I did run SFC /SCANNOW and CHKDSK C: and there were no reported problems or repairs

I did a slipstream repair (with nlite). Immediately ran into problems with being unable to activate;which brought me here.

Some programs would not run (Expression Web, Pegasus Mail which both need internet access)

Here's the thing ...I only discovered this when I decided to create another ISO for nlite slipstream with all the current XP PRO patches embedded. While building the ISO =I inadvertently ran MP10 and it asked to update=.

My slipstream file to repair XP Pro SP3 had an update to Media Player 10 which did install, but as I did not run Media Player, it turns out my lack of running MP caused that it didn't download the updates or patches associated with MP 11.

After triggering the download... the magic began.

When it did update, it wanted a reboot. So I saved my nlite build in progress, rebooted, and once I was in windows, the activation online was =enabled= and I activated online without a problem,
    ---but the activation rectangle on the desktop remained. (the start menu and system tray 'activate' were gone)

After I rebooted again, then all the activation reminders went away.

It is fixed now.
    Windows installer now works correctly again, and I was able to repair Expression Web. It runs now.

I was able to run my mail program, at last. Other programs that developed a problem after the bad update in February also were able to run again.

IE is now correctly downloading the patches via windows updater.

So now I have a new nlite slipstream ISO to burn which will have all the patches to date. Nlite reports nearly 14M of files, over my previous ISO.

Everything seems to be working again so far.

Thanks for all you do to help us.
    • Marked as answer by Wagashigrrl Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:48 PM
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:46 PM
  • You're welcome - thanks for coming back to let us know your solution! (Well done!)

Just a reminder - all WU problems effectively become irrelevant next month, as no new updates for XP will be released after 8th April.

This does not mean that WU itself will stop working - merely that there will be no new content for XP (Ever!) afterwards.

The only 'updates' that XP systems will  receive after that will be definitions updates for Security Essentials - and that will cease sometime next year, if I remember right.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:07 PM