none
Seagate drive quality. RRS feed

• Question

• I have 7 Seagate 2 Maxtor and 1 WD drives in my WHS.  2 Seagate drives, 8 month old 500gb sata and 1 month old 750gb pata, began developing bad sectors before the Thanksgiving and were replaced.  Now another 8 month old 500gb sata drive is making chirping noise and is in the process of being replaced.  So for me, 3 drive failures in the last month or so are more failures than I've had for the previous 20 or so years going back to my first 20 meg MFM and RLL drive days.  These drives are running cool between 32C to 36C, and the last failing drive was running between 34-36C, so heat doesn't appear to be an issue.  So, I'm thinking it's either my bad luck or is a Seagate quality issue.  And I'm thinking it is the latter, and maybe these Seagate drives just cannot handle being powered up 24/7 for a long period of time.  Anyone else with multiple Seagate drives experiencing any problems?

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:18 AM

Answers

• Some more info about the failures they have seen from Retrodata :

>>>>>

To other posters - these drives are not at all limited only to drives
    manufactured in Chinese factories - there's no discrimination
    whatsoever.  China / Singapore / Thailand - they all seem to be
    affected.

Failure is pretty instantaneous, with no warning.

I'll get some photographs up on my website in due course of the damage
    that has been caused to the platters of some of these drives - although
    by far the commonest problem is bearing failure and subsequent seizure
    of the platters.

Duncan
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk
    Globally Local Data Recovery Experts

<<<<<
    Friday, January 11, 2008 3:40 PM

All replies

• I noticed this newsgroup posting by Retrodata (a UK data recovery service) the other day :

>>>>

Many regulars know that for some time I pushed the reliability of
    Seagate drives more than any other.

However, over the past 4 weeks I have received more Seagate drives for
    recovery than _all_ others put together - including Maxtor and Western
    Digital.

I'm talking mainly 3.5" drives less than a year old, and high capacity.

My advice (from my own experience) is not to touch Seagate with a
    bargepole.  They have clearly lost the plot.

Not only that, but the resulting damage is often so severe that recovery
    is not an option.

Samsung is currently my top choice of reliable drive - the HD501LJ.

Duncan
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

<<<<

I'm monitoring my Seagate drives a little more closely now ... 

Friday, January 11, 2008 10:03 AM
  • I think it may be your system(s) that is at fault.  I have had Seagates since 1982 and not one failure.  Presently I have 5 1TB 7200.11 Seagates in my WHS and absolutely no problems.  Moreover Seagate is the only one with a 5 year warranty.  Finally if you are so worried about catastrophic failure then when the next WHS update comes alone with its ability to back up your whole WHS to a secondary disk array you should be fine.

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Some more info about the failures they have seen from Retrodata :

>>>>>

To other posters - these drives are not at all limited only to drives
    manufactured in Chinese factories - there's no discrimination
    whatsoever.  China / Singapore / Thailand - they all seem to be
    affected.

Failure is pretty instantaneous, with no warning.

I'll get some photographs up on my website in due course of the damage
    that has been caused to the platters of some of these drives - although
    by far the commonest problem is bearing failure and subsequent seizure
    of the platters.

Duncan
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

<<<<<
    Friday, January 11, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Thanks for the info and the link.  I realize harddrives are mechanical, therefore, prone to failure, but 3 in a little more than one month period seems a bit too much.

Friday, January 11, 2008 8:55 PM
  • I would concur with other posters here, I run two seagate and two samsung 500Gb sata drives. All bought around four months ago. I am getting repeated probeems with the seagates and have had to "repair" them which has worked so far, unfortunatley I cant get any useful error data. I may have to get them replaced, almost certainly with samsungs.

I notice from the disk manager that the seagates run about ten degrees c hotter than the samsungs and they are positioned in the same way for air circulation etc!

pme

Monday, April 14, 2008 11:41 AM
  • I don't mind using Barracudas for desktops but I didn't put them in my home server setup because they aren't server class drives rated for 24/7 operation plus they give out a lot of heat as other posters have noticed, especially so on the models with four platters like some 500/750 Gb Barracuda's that have been sold very cheap over the past 6-9 months.

In my setup I originally used the WD RE2 server class drives which although designed for RAID work perfectly.  I ran out of space so recently I've upgraded them to the new WD RE GP Green drive which though not as fast as the samsung F1 (which I have a pair in my main desktop) run far quieter, cooler thanks to their variable spin speed.and use less power.  I'm going to buy another four to go in my external SATA box!
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:38 PM
  • I would point you towards my thread on the We Got Served forums: http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=2258

I've had a VERY high failure rate of all sorts of HDD's in WHS - mainly WD drives.  I'm trying to get a feel for how many other people are experiencing the same.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:05 AM