View Past Virus Scan Logs/Reports RRS feed

• Question

•  

A virus scan as of today did not find any infections. I understand how to view a support log for the current month. However, in this case I need to see the log for last months' scan. Is there any way to view the previous month's scan log?

This PC had OneCare installed in attempt to clean the system around the 29th of last month. However, the customer needed the machine before a scan was run. The PC scanned, of course, once a day on it's own. The PC was brought back in to finish cleaning it, however with the current scan being clean we are unable to let them know what infections, if any, were found and cleaned by OneCare during the first scan it ran.

On a side note, I would like express my appreciation for this program. It has saved a lot of our customers from reformatting their PC's. I work for a PC repair shop and we now always suggest/reccomend this antivirus program due to it's simplicity (average users don't need to know which file is infected or exactly what is done to it....just as long as it gets rid of the virus/spyware), speed, incorporating deleting temp files and a defrag schedule (especially for xp users that often crash their system by compressing system files using the windows disk cleanup), and it's great ability to clean things we used to have to clean manually.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:34 PM

Answers

• The only log available will be the one found under Change Settings, Logging tab, create support log. If the date you want to view is no longer visible, it has rolled off.

Thanks for the kind words.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:42 PM

All replies

• The only log available will be the one found under Change Settings, Logging tab, create support log. If the date you want to view is no longer visible, it has rolled off.

Thanks for the kind words.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Thankyou for your quick response.  

Do you happen to know if they will be adding the ability to control how many past logs onecare stores in a future update?

I am not sure if this is the right spot to mention this.....but some people have had trouble with updates to onecare over dialup....I found this to be due to them disconnecting each day before the update finished. This causes the updates to build up and become a very big update taking a very long time over dial-up. I don't see this as too big of an issue as long as they know to leave the PC online for atleast a half-hour a day. My question is, will they ever add in a progress bar or something similar for the updates so people know for sure when it's updating/finished updating?

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:20 PM
  • You're welcome. You caught me before I stepped away for a bit. :-) And I'll be stepping away until tomorrow shortly.

I don't expect that the amount of logging available will be changed or made a configurable item. As a feature request, you can submit it via http://feedback.live.com, selecting Windows Live OneCare from the list of programs.

And, yes, dial-up updates can be painful. The regular signature updates are generally fairly small, but at least once per month, the entire signature database is refreshed. And, I don't know if this is fixed yet, but I think it is, when an update is interrupted during download, OneCare would flag this as a failure and turn red, even if it was successfully downloading the rest of the update on a subsequent connection. Losing the network connection did not really mean a failure, as the download resumes when interrupted. A progress bar has been requested, but it may be considered "to noisy" for some people. I think that being silent and *not* crying "error" when there is none, would be the best solution.

-steve 

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:40 AM