Google adwords code showing up in URL for organic listings RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I ran a query on MSN for Auto Glass. My company, glass.net, showed up in the third position, not all bad until I scanned down to the URL www.glass.net/​?r=​go1015031gn001pGoogleAdWordsSearch  It should be impossible for MSN to index a website with a Google AdWords URL. Secondly, our robots.txt file also should exclude any page that has a ? with dynamic info after it from being indexed by msnbot.

What am I missing here? On the other major search engines we don't get the same results. How can we exclude this AdWord code from showing up in our organic listings?

Thursday, June 5, 2008 10:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I will look into the Google issue. In regards to your robots.txt file, have you used a validator to validate your file?

Brett

Friday, June 6, 2008 4:53 PM

• Hi,

I suggest taking a look at robotstxt.org for ideas.

Brett
    Friday, June 6, 2008 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I will look into the Google issue. In regards to your robots.txt file, have you used a validator to validate your file?

Brett

Friday, June 6, 2008 4:53 PM
  • I just validated the robots.txt file it says MSNBOT doesn't support wildcard charactors. A little history: I copied and pasted the robots.txt file from a blog post talking about removing session ids. Apparently this isn't the total answer to solving our problem. I will have a look at this over the weekend.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 8:19 PM

• Hi,

I suggest taking a look at robotstxt.org for ideas.

Brett
    Friday, June 6, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Thank you Brett for your help. So I will continue to look into my robots.txt files issues, however I found another issue that might be causing the google ad code showing up in the natural search listing. In the top backlinks of MSN websmaster tools it shows a link pointing to glass.net with the google ad code in it. It appears to be coming from glass.net itself (http://www.glass.net/?r=go1015031gn001pGoogleAdWordsSearch). Is there a way I can block this backlink?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:58 PM
  • I Edited our robots file, it is now valid and contains no wildcard charactors. I also found the place that is linking to our code using a google referral code: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2992153. Now that I have found the link, is there a clocking method we can use to exclude the link pointing to glass.net. I am at a loss for a solution.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:18 PM