problems with used computer i just purchased RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a Dell computer from an individual who got it from the university he works at.  Since the computer was purchased used it was wiped clean of internet explorer windows nothing was on it.  Before he sold the computer to me he had a friend install the version of windows office on my computer and I have since found out that this version of windows is not valid and I'm not quite sure what to do about it because i really dont have any money to spend on the valid version of windows professional and I really dont have much use for the office version.  All I really want is a version of windows xp home that could be downloaded for free.  I am currently unemployed and have been using my computer to sell things on ebay for extra money and I do need my computer.  Is there anything I can do.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Editor Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:00 PM Moved to proper category. (From:Genuine Advantage Offers - Eligibility Issues Forum)
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:51 AM

Answers

• Hello honeybee3400,

I believe their are charitable organizations or government agencies that may be able to help with your situation. Unfortunatly,  I'm not aware of any kind of Microsoft run programs, of this nature.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hello honeybee3400,

I believe their are charitable organizations or government agencies that may be able to help with your situation. Unfortunatly,  I'm not aware of any kind of Microsoft run programs, of this nature.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Hello honeybee3400,

If your Dell has a Windows Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on it, it is very likely still licensed to run the version and edition of Windows described on the CoA.

If so, the task at hand is to get the CDs needed to install that version and edition of Windows.

You can visit this page at Dell http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1 to request a set of Recovery/Reinstallation discs. 
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:35 AM