none
Visual Studio 2015 HTML Editor not working after update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,I hope I use all English MS terminology correctly, but I'm working on a German development Environment and this forum doesn't seem to be offered in German too (at least I'm directed to here when I try to look for help on the German MS Support page) , therefore I have to translate.

Here at work I'm using VS 2015. Developing a Web application worked fine until I had to open the solution "Client Tools" for that Web application. Opening this Project required an update of VS, which then required me to "repair" the VS Installation from System Control Panel "Apps and Features".Opening the Web application again, VS told me that it could not load the Web Project any more as it was "incompatible". It took me about two days researching to find that I had to remove the ProjectTypeGUID {E3E379DF-F4C6-4180-9B81-6769533ABE47}, now I can at least load the project again, but opening the cshtml files fails with a "The operation could not be completed. Invalid pointer" message. If I use Open With.. and select "Source Code (Text) Editor" or "HTML (Web Forms) Editor" works, so I think I'll be able to reconfigure VS to use the WebForms Editor for cshtml, but I neither know if that is appropiate for the Project nor if that causes other Problems (e.g. with IntelliSense).

For this Problem Google directed me to a few sites all stating the same (use devenc /resetuserdata from a VS developer console, clear the ComponentModelCache in the user Profile, reinstall the updates), but the first two didn't help and it seems that I can't find the updates for VS 2015 as the only things MS offers are Updates for VS 2017 or TeamExplorer 2015. Trying to select an "old Version" download forced me to Register but then also only directed me to the download for VS 2017 Community Version. I found the DotNetCore.1.0.0-VS2015Tools.Preview2.exe download mentioned in another article, but this says that prererquisites are not fulfilled and I have to install Update 3 before trying again.

Other issues I found in MS archives were closed as "unreproducable" as the askers weren't able to provide log files or dumps MS asked for (I don't even know where to find such a dump), although I think that if that problem occurs as often as the number of questions suggests, there must be a way to reproduce it within the MS labs. But I think I digress. Back to the topic..

What would you propose? Is there a definite way to make the HTML Editor work again? Should I use the HTML Editor for WebForms or the Text Editor offered by VS?

Thursday, August 3, 2017 8:20 AM

All replies

• For the German Forums:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/home?forum=vbgeneral%2Cvisualstudiogeneral&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Thursday, August 3, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Thanks, I will post my question there.
    Thursday, August 3, 2017 11:58 AM
  • If it helped, mark it as such.

Also, if you are moving the thread to another forum, mark this one as answered somehow so it closes...

Thursday, August 3, 2017 12:59 PM
  • Hi dietzm,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I found you have reported this issue to the German forum and hope you will get a more professional support.

BTW, it looks Cyrille Précetti provided a helpful information for your question, could you please mark it as answer when you have free time? So, I can close this thread. Meanwhile, it will also help other community members who meet the same or similar issue to search for an appropriate forum, thank you for your cooperation.

If you have any other issues about VS IDE in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, August 4, 2017 2:13 AM