Add drive -> happy -> restart -> Missing Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been doing a WHS install all week. I loaded it up on a primary, and then installed 2 1tb harddrives, and added them to the storage pool.  I then migrated all the data from my older server onto these two 1tb harddrives. Once that was completed, I took the 4 harddrives from my other server and installed them into my new server.

So WHS recognizes the four new drives, and i add all 4 of the drives to the storage pool.  I then restart my computer and three of the drives go missing and  I get a backup service not running error. Since there was no data was on these three drives, i remove them from the storage pool, reboot, and then add them to the storage pool.  I leave the computer on over night, restart, and the same three drives are missing.  Ive tried moving these drives to different bays on the server, and i get the same problem.  When my computer is starting up it recognizes these drives on the controller (im not running any RAID).  I just cant get WHS to keep them in the storage pool.

At first i thought the problem was that I took them from my old system and put them into the new system without formatting them. But adding drives to the storage pool does a format first.

I am clueless. I am not sure whats going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I would hate to have this problem when i get my storage pool up to 15tb...

Please help!!!
    Ive searched around on these forums
    Mark
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:22 PM

Answers

• So I gave up. Samsung Spinpoint F1 drives dont like my  WHS. Went and picked up a 2tb Western Digital.  All is good.

For those that want more details:
    I surface scanned all three drives, only one had a problem. I low level formatted all of them, only one had a problem (the same one).  I tried to install the other 2 healthy drives, but was still having no luck.  WHS wouldnt even recognize that a drive was in the system, although my controller showed the two drives during startup.  Any one ever have that problem?
    Mark
    Monday, June 8, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Hi Mark,
    as long as drives are detected in disk management after an unsupported login to the server, you can follow the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, June 8, 2009 7:31 AM

All replies

• As these are 'old drives' they could have some physical errors that whs doesn't like, stuff like bad sectors etc. Try the manufacturers website for s diags disk. Normally a boot floppy or iso image. Bung the disk(s) in a desktop, run diags and see what comes back, also most of these tools offer a low level format which is like a reset to factory default. This can often fix minor problems but the downside of this is it takes a long time.

Friday, June 5, 2009 10:03 PM
  • No, They are not old drives. I was literally watching a movie on the drive 10 minutes before i installed it. I took it out of the old case, and threw it into the new one in one motion.

Thanks for the advice.  The drives that are having problems are all of the same type. The Samsung Spinpoint F! HD752LJ 750Gb.  The fourth drive was a maxtor and has had no problems.  Ill try to test these disks and ill let you know what happens.  Any one else have 2 cents to throw in?

Mark
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:23 PM
  • No, They are not old drives. I was literally watching a movie on the drive 10 minutes before i installed it. I took it out of the old case, and threw it into the new one in one motion.

Thanks for the advice.  The drives that are having problems are all of the same type. The Samsung Spinpoint F! HD752LJ 750Gb.  The fourth drive was a maxtor and has had no problems.  Ill try to test these disks and ill let you know what happens.  Any one else have 2 cents to throw in?

Mark

Did you connect your old primary drive up to your new installation?  Have you tried adding one drive at a time (instead of all 4 at once)?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:20 PM
  • No.  Theses were all secondary drives. None were a system drive.  I turned everything off, and pulled out 2 of the drives and reinserted them, and then powered on, and only 2 of the drives were missing.

I am in the process of burning a utility disk to test each of those harddrives.  If they turn out to be healthy, then i am going to do a low level format.  And try again. 

Mark
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:36 AM
  • I had problems with my spinpoint 750gb drives. I have a 160gb for the os and 3x 750's in the storage pool. All were connected to the onboard sata ports. Intermittantly 2 of the disks would drop offline and show as missing. Bios and disk management would see them but not whs.

I figured that the onboard controller could not really handle the 4 disks. Probably to do with the TUR commands that the contoller and disks handshake. I just put in an add in sata card and put 2 of the disks on that. I've not had any issues since.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:41 PM
  • I am running 2x Supermicro PCI-X Sata 8 ports.  Its a cheap card, but gets you the number of ports you need. So when i tried to boot from the samsung utilities disk with the disk connected to this port, it wouldnt show up in the utility application.  So I moved the disk to an onboard sata port, rebooted, and it was there. Started a low level format, went to bed, woke up and added the disk to the storage pool.  I wont scream victory yet. I am going to push some data on it and then see how long it lasts.

I have 2 more drives that are causing problems, and I will follow the process above. 

I did get a notice after the low level format that there were some problems with the drive.  But WHS is viewing it as healthy, and it has survived a reboot. 
    Mark
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:15 PM
  • I did get a notice after the low level format that there were some problems with the drive.  But WHS is viewing it as healthy, and it has survived a reboot. 

Mark,

To me this would indicate there might be some problem with eighter the drive or your system. Personally I would try to solve this before trusting my data to it. WHS may mark it as healthy now, but this does not garantee there is no problem....

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 7:44 PM
  • So I gave up. Samsung Spinpoint F1 drives dont like my  WHS. Went and picked up a 2tb Western Digital.  All is good.

For those that want more details:
    I surface scanned all three drives, only one had a problem. I low level formatted all of them, only one had a problem (the same one).  I tried to install the other 2 healthy drives, but was still having no luck.  WHS wouldnt even recognize that a drive was in the system, although my controller showed the two drives during startup.  Any one ever have that problem?
    Mark
    Monday, June 8, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Hi Mark,
    as long as drives are detected in disk management after an unsupported login to the server, you can follow the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, June 8, 2009 7:31 AM