Select individual files and folders in V2.0 - Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• Prior to version 2 of Windows Live Onecare, you were able to select files and folders that were not pre-selected by the program.  It appears that this option has disappeared with the new version...am I missing an option?

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:55 PM

Answers

• You are correct. The backup process for v2 is strictly by file type from the "templates" selected in the first step. You can choose the types by group. You can also exclude folders and files. You can never backup any files in \Windows and \Program Files as these folders are excluded by OneCare. You can no longer include a file or folder explicitly as the file types allowed are already selected at that first step.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:27 PM
  • C Richard,

Would you please indicate what types of files you can't backup and why you need them? I tried endlessly during the beta to get anyone to answer this question and no one did, so the new set of default exclusions lived into the release.

Though the removal of the ability to Include files and folders was intentional and has been explained, no one has yet defined why these file types (mostly executables and 'system folders') have been excluded. We've made some guesses as to why it was done, but without an explanation all we can do is indicate the number of issues it creates.

Saying you want Includes control won't get this changed, it's really the default exclusions that create the core issue, since there's no way to over-ride this in the new rules based logic. If ALL file types were included by default or at least available, you could simply reverse the logic (deselect what you don't want) and get the same results. This way the non-technical user would get 'everything' in the default folders backed up exactly as was intended, but there'd still be a workable solution for the technical users.

OneCareBear

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:23 AM

All replies

• did u check the folder selection UX .. it has the option of selecting/de selecting  files/folders

during the configure backup click "change this" link - > click "exclude files/folders"

the v2 version i guess has a better interface in choosing the files/folders for backup

hope that helps

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Thanks for the response...that's the way it used to work in the older version.  I am unable to find any way to include files in V2, only exclude files and folders.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 4:55 PM
  • You are correct. The backup process for v2 is strictly by file type from the "templates" selected in the first step. You can choose the types by group. You can also exclude folders and files. You can never backup any files in \Windows and \Program Files as these folders are excluded by OneCare. You can no longer include a file or folder explicitly as the file types allowed are already selected at that first step.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Thanks for the update...this appears to be an extreme step backwards.  It appears that I will need to look at a different non Microsoft backup solution.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:11 PM
  • C Richard,

Would you please indicate what types of files you can't backup and why you need them? I tried endlessly during the beta to get anyone to answer this question and no one did, so the new set of default exclusions lived into the release.

Though the removal of the ability to Include files and folders was intentional and has been explained, no one has yet defined why these file types (mostly executables and 'system folders') have been excluded. We've made some guesses as to why it was done, but without an explanation all we can do is indicate the number of issues it creates.

Saying you want Includes control won't get this changed, it's really the default exclusions that create the core issue, since there's no way to over-ride this in the new rules based logic. If ALL file types were included by default or at least available, you could simply reverse the logic (deselect what you don't want) and get the same results. This way the non-technical user would get 'everything' in the default folders backed up exactly as was intended, but there'd still be a workable solution for the technical users.

OneCareBear

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:23 AM
  • I have to agree on the "step backwards" issue.  It seems there is no way to tell OneCare to backup any files under the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders.  While most of the files are not required, there are some systems such as Visual Studio and SQL Server that keep customizable templates and such in those folders.  I need to be able to back that stuff up.

I don't care for an application that tries to protect me from myself by limiting my options.  At least give us an "advanced" mode so that we can get to the details.

Thanks.

J

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:34 AM
  • This is a VERY BAD thing. I used to think this program was worth something. Now I think it is USELESS.

I need to be able to backup files/folders that ARE inside the Program Files folder AND extensions that are not included.

For instance, my fax program (FaxTalk Messenger) saves all out faxes in the Sent Items folder under Program files. My business database folders are in the SQL folder under the Program files folders too. I cannot choose to save these files anywhere else. It is automatically put there by the software  I use.

I download driver (exe) files that run hardware, save them in My Documents folders, BUT WLOC will NOT back up exe files or drv files no matter where they are located AND my business database backs up files with a BAK extension to My documents BUT WLOC will NOT back up BAK files either.

This is NOT a good program anymore. It is a great option to "circle" compuetrs BUT that backup DOESNT WORK either.

Anyone have any other good recommendation for NEW backup software with similar, but allowable preferences?

Joe P

***WLOC people... Get your head outta your a**... Whoever created this version should LOSE their JOB.

Friday, December 14, 2007 4:57 AM
  • Thanks for your reply...at this point in time I need to manually move the important files to the "Documents" folder.  The files in question are part of Peachtree Accounting backup files with an extension of "ptb".  In addition, I need to do the same thing with all of my drawing files "dat" extension.  While this may seem to be a reasonable work around, it creates a number of problems because the installed software looks for these references in "their local directory" as installed by the program (in both cases I am unable to re-direct to an alternate location).

I am in favor of your "include all files" suggestion.

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:08 PM
  •  

Mr. Bear, I'm sorry but that just doesn't pass the giggle test.  You're telling me you had to ask people what types of files they can't backup and why they need them?  And they wouldn't tell you?  And this is why the new stupid rules lived into release?  The designers can't just imagine a few?  EXE files...  proprietary files... 

Why one would need proprietary files is self-explanatory.  Why one would need an EXE file... could be a setup file for a specialized little program you don't want to lose because you found it on some exhaustive Google search and you can't remember how the hell you got there and you're just so glad you found the damn thing that you pray to all that is holy for your trusted backup software to do the job it is supposed to!!!  .....  but that's just a guess.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 5:03 AM
  •  Sven62 wrote:

Mr. Bear, I'm sorry but that just doesn't pass the giggle test.  You're telling me you had to ask people what types of files they can't backup and why they need them?  And they wouldn't tell you?  And this is why the new stupid rules lived into release?  The designers can't just imagine a few?  EXE files...  proprietary files... 

Why one would need proprietary files is self-explanatory.  Why one would need an EXE file... could be a setup file for a specialized little program you don't want to lose because you found it on some exhaustive Google search and you can't remember how the hell you got there and you're just so glad you found the damn thing that you pray to all that is holy for your trusted backup software to do the job it is supposed to!!!  .....  but that's just a guess.

For the record, OneCareBear is a volunteer moderator here and not part of the program team, as are all the moderators here.

The workaround for files that you want backed up that are being filtered out by OneCare's backup is to rename the files to an extension that is allowed.

Alternatively, for those limited files that fall into this category - a downloaded program file, for example, copy the files to an external drive or write them to a CD/DVD

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:19 PM
  • I think we all appreciate the fact that the moderators are not the product team, but this is the forum in which we are supposed to have these discussions, no?  The MVPs are the ones that have access to the product team.  And this is how we have access to the MVPs.    And our intention is to get this feedback through you to the product team.

As far as your suggested workaround, that's just not feasible in many cases.  I have many, many files that would then have to be manually renamed and renamed again, as the applications that use these files are looking for specific extensions.

And copying the data to an external drive or writing them to a CD was sort of the purpose of getting the backup software to begin with.  So that suggestion is a bit silly in this context.

I think that those of us that are complaining about the backwards direction of the feature implementation are already aware of how to "work around" the now crippled functionality of the backup software that we purchased.  It's the fact that we have to work around it that's the issue.

Thanks.

J

Sunday, December 23, 2007 8:35 PM
  • Oh, noooooooo!  I was just going to delete my Retrospect backups and rely on OneCare exclusively.  Not being able to backup exe files and anything in the Programs Files folder makes it unusable.  RATS!!!!!  Good grief!  What were they thinking??????

Sunday, December 23, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Yes, J, you can certainly provide feedback here - the product team members read the forums, too.

I understand that the workarounds are not feasible for you, but they may be for some people. And, for the record, I don't like OneCare backup, either. It does a great job for the average user who may never have backed up a single file in their life, but many people have more specialized needs.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:45 PM
  • Two questions:

1. I want to see a list of the files backed up, and when. The "report" doesn't get me there. Any ideas?

2. I am trying to restore a single file. It says it cannot find it. Anyone else have trouble with this?

Sunday, January 6, 2008 4:21 PM
  •  .net zealot wrote:

Two questions:

1. I want to see a list of the files backed up, and when. The "report" doesn't get me there. Any ideas?

2. I am trying to restore a single file. It says it cannot find it. Anyone else have trouble with this?

The list of files to be backed up is available as part of the backup process, though probably not in a format you want.

As for finding a specific file to restore, it can be done, but that would depend on if the file was backed up based on your selections for the backup plan. And, once again, the interface leaves much to be desired.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:34 AM
  • I am so glad I'm not crazy and others spotting the same black hole.  I MUST have granular selection of both files and folders to consider a backup solution useful.  I can somewhat understand from an easy of use standpoint to group the files and folders into blobs of "Financial data" and "music" and "pictures".  This is okay, but if I want to backup c:\users\*.* I should be able to do that too.  Only offering a file by file selection is insane.  I have many thousands of files neatly organized into nifty nested folders.  It's organized this way to I can choose to backup the root folder and all the subfolders follow.  If I backup the "picture" blob, I end up with every unwanted image in a chaos of different folders scattered across several hard drives and mixed right in with my precious images.  I could deal with this waste of space as long as I could backup all my software installation media I keep on my local drive.  No EXE's are backed up!  Good grief!  This is truly a huge step backwards even for the most basic user.

The 1.x version of OneCare Backup was much better than the 2.0, although I can't for the life of me figure out why the dev's don't allow the user to size the popup windows.  The only bright spot here is the OneCare Circle.  This is interesting and could be useful when or if the ever add back in the ability to include files and folders in backups.

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:27 AM
  • Hi! Not that this is going to make anyone feel any better, but another workaround to renaming your executables to a different extension is to simply zip them up. Onecare backs up the zip files. It is still pretty convenient since Windows Vista seems to see zipped files as zipped "folders" so you can almost use them like regular folders. (Notice I said *almost*).

Of course I wish I could simply just select the whole darn folder. Not being able to do so just makes me feel unsafe. If I could just edit the exclusions list myself I would be happy. If only someone could develop some kind of hack to remove the exclusions all together that would be GREAT!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:18 AM