Still unable to resolve the BSOD issue during the install RRS feed

• Question

• I guess it's 101st time someone has raised the issue about the BSOD after the reboot during the install, and believe me I've read it all and tried it out to the best of my ability, but I'm still stuck with it, so I'm trying the last resort - asking for help here.

Here's my situtation: I've bought Belinea o.Center, and it came all buggy, after the install Windows Explorer restarted for no obvious reason all the time, the system wouldn't let me install updates and so on. Moreover, the OS was in German (my fault, I didn't realise that before ordering the unit - but I could live with it, not the aforementioned issues). So I tried to reinstall the server - first using the standart tryout version, and this is how I discovered the BSOD problem.

Let me mention the physical aspects of the server - it has no CD-drive (which is fine, I managed to do the install from Flash drive). But it has no PS/2 port for keyboard, which means I have to use USB keyboard, which apparently isn't initalised during the boot-up, so I just can't press the F2 key to change drives to AHCI in BIOS. Then I read about slipstreaming the drivers into installation, but unfortunately I couldn't find the correct drivers - Belinea support page doesn't have any. After some research I found out that Belinea have used AMD M690 chipset, which apparently is a notebook chipset, but unfortunately AMD don't happen to have drivers for the chipset either.

So then I found out about the X:/Files Edition, and was overjoyed to learn that this edition supposedly have all the correct storage drivers slipstreamed into the installation, but unfortunately it turned out that X:/Files Edition fared no better - still the same BSOD.

So now I'm out of ideas how to resolve this problem. May be any of you have some ideas or tips? (sending the unit back to Belinea is out of question for a number of reasons).

Thank you in advance.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:55 PM

All replies

• jonsplunts said:

I guess it's 101st time someone has raised the issue about the BSOD after the reboot during the install, and believe me I've read it all and tried it out to the best of my ability, but I'm still stuck with it, so I'm trying the last resort - asking for help here.

Here's my situtation: I've bought Belinea o.Center, and it came all buggy, after the install Windows Explorer restarted for no obvious reason all the time, the system wouldn't let me install updates and so on. Moreover, the OS was in German (my fault, I didn't realise that before ordering the unit - but I could live with it, not the aforementioned issues). So I tried to reinstall the server - first using the standart tryout version, and this is how I discovered the BSOD problem.

Let me mention the physical aspects of the server - it has no CD-drive (which is fine, I managed to do the install from Flash drive). But it has no PS/2 port for keyboard, which means I have to use USB keyboard, which apparently isn't initalised during the boot-up, so I just can't press the F2 key to change drives to AHCI in BIOS. Then I read about slipstreaming the drivers into installation, but unfortunately I couldn't find the correct drivers - Belinea support page doesn't have any. After some research I found out that Belinea have used AMD M690 chipset, which apparently is a notebook chipset, but unfortunately AMD don't happen to have drivers for the chipset either.

So then I found out about the X:/Files Edition, and was overjoyed to learn that this edition supposedly have all the correct storage drivers slipstreamed into the installation, but unfortunately it turned out that X:/Files Edition fared no better - still the same BSOD.

So now I'm out of ideas how to resolve this problem. May be any of you have some ideas or tips? (sending the unit back to Belinea is out of question for a number of reasons).

Thank you in advance.

To be brutally honest here, Belinea (and all OEM companies) are required to give you the ability to restore your server in 2 different fashions:  a way to restore just the OS partition and a way to wipe everything and start over.  Based on what you said, it sounds to me like they provided neither.  If that is the case, I would demand a full refund because they are not living up to their end of the system builders' license agreement and if they refuse, I would start by contacting MS, then an attorney and file a lawsuit against their company (I don't know about where you live, but in the US, when you mention the word "lawsuit" to a someone of authority within an organization, they have a way of listening a lot more than they do otherwise).  You shouldn't have to jump through all of these hoops just to reinstall WHS (and I don't think MS would want it that way because it creates a bad user experience, which makes them look bad, even when it's not their fault as is the case here).
    Monday, February 23, 2009 12:16 AM
  • Maxdata, which sold the o.Center, does not exist any more as company (insolvency, not sure, if the o.Center home server support has been taken over by some other company).
    Part of your o.Center should be a USB flash drive, from which to boot the o.Center for starting the recovery mode and a DVD or CD for the client side part of setup.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 23, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Olaf, yes, I'm aware of that, I tried to contact the company which now provides service for Maxdata products, and was informed, that they provide service for products bought after June 25. I purchased mine on June 23... And to be perfectly honest I'm not sure if I'm entitled for warranty service, since the product is intended for German market (I live in Latvia). I guess there could be some EU regulations regarding this, but I'm not really excited about the opportunity to find out what exactly they are. Moreover, I'm not sure I want to shell out for shipping the server back and forth.

And Kariya (excellent player, btw :)) - lawsuits ain't really popular here in Latvia, and regarding the whole legal side - see abowe.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Oh yes, and I've tried the original USB flash drive and DVD many times, and it constantly produces the same result, e.g., only partially working server.  
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:02 PM
  • jonsplunts said:

Oh yes, and I've tried the original USB flash drive and DVD many times, and it constantly produces the same result, e.g., only partially working server.  

maybe this is a result of not understanding the German text or of conflicting settings between your client OS and the server installation CD?
    Unfortunately I never had a an o.center, otherwise I could eventually provide more help.
    You never should have to attach any keyboard to the server to change settings in an invisible Bios, since this can't do anything good. Also with the premade setup procedure provided by the OEM you will not need to slipstream any drivers, since this is included in the process.
    Maybe it helps to remove the battery on the mainboard or find the jumper to reset the settings - but a result could also be a time difference between client and server with unknown results for the network connection.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Well, I did some research, and it looks like AMD M790 chipset is based on the old ATI chipsets, particularly it uses ATI SB600 southbridge, which, judging by information on different forums, is notorious for having trouble with SATA drivers, on different OSes (as well as for not allowing to use USB keyboard during start-up). I tried to slipstream some of the recommended drivers, but no luck - install still results in the 7B BSOD error.

So I'm now officially giving up, unless someone comes up with some wonderful idea...
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:31 PM