Installing Onecare on a netbook (specifically Dell Mini)? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it ok to install Live Onecare on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 given that it only has a 12gb SSD hard drive.  Will that present problems later down the line?
    Friday, September 19, 2008 12:55 AM

Answers

• If it meets the system requirements it should be ok.

One Care System Requirements:

• Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition, Professional, Media Center Edition, or Tablet PC Edition) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate) operating system (OneCare does not support the Windows XP Professional 64-bit operating system)
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher for Windows XP SP2; Phishing Filter requires Windows Internet Explorer 7
  • PC with 300 MHz or faster CPU speed
  • 256 MB of RAM and 600 MB of available hard disk space; 25 GB of available space reqiured for central backup features
  • 56 kbps or faster Internet connection (broadband recommended)
  • CD or DVD burner, external hard drive, or USB-enabled media or storage device required for backup and restore functionality (not required for installing Windows Live OneCare)
Friday, September 19, 2008 3:32 AM

All replies

• If it meets the system requirements it should be ok.

One Care System Requirements:

• Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition, Professional, Media Center Edition, or Tablet PC Edition) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate) operating system (OneCare does not support the Windows XP Professional 64-bit operating system)
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher for Windows XP SP2; Phishing Filter requires Windows Internet Explorer 7
  • PC with 300 MHz or faster CPU speed
  • 256 MB of RAM and 600 MB of available hard disk space; 25 GB of available space reqiured for central backup features
  • 56 kbps or faster Internet connection (broadband recommended)
  • CD or DVD burner, external hard drive, or USB-enabled media or storage device required for backup and restore functionality (not required for installing Windows Live OneCare)
Friday, September 19, 2008 3:32 AM
  • The only consideration I would have in your scenario is the fact that a Tune-up will run monthly by default and will perform a Defrag of the disk. There is no way to disable this without making a modification to the OS or Registry. Running Defrag on a solid state disk isn't recommended as it will impact the lifespan of that device, however minimally that may be.

-steve

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Having installed Onecare on three other PC's previously (XP & Vista), I have been unsuccessful in getting Onecare to function correctly on a Dell Mini 910 (1 GB RAM & 16 GB SSD) --- it continues to be non-responsive.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:43 AM
  •  howami wrote:
    Having installed Onecare on three other PC's previously (XP & Vista), I have been unsuccessful in getting Onecare to function correctly on a Dell Mini 910 (1 GB RAM & 16 GB SSD) --- it continues to be non-responsive.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Non-responsive in what way?

Does it not start when you attempt to open OneCare? Does the system tray icon appear and, if so, what is the status of OneCare? If it does not appear, do you get an error at startup about OneCare not protecting the PC?

-steve

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:49 PM
  • Steve: Thanks for your attention, for it caused me to more closely try to understand the problem (The obvious symptom was an "hourglass" when the cursor was placed in the Onecare window and the Task Manager called the application "not responding".)
    Well, I did finally find out the source of my problem: Terminal Services had not been set to "auto" !
    Now, Onecare seems to be functioning properly.  (It would be nice if there were a switch to turn off defrag for SSD.)
    Thanks again, for your query did cause me to refocus......

Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:34 AM
  • You guys read my mind! Love the OneCare product - only AV solution I have that truly lets me set and forget about viruses, trojans, etc. (As long as I practice good email/browsing habits!)

Turned the Terminal Services service to start automatically and OneCare back.

Turned off the defrag with the registry hack (http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3031338&SiteID=2) and I am rocking!

Thanks again!

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:48 PM
  • You're both very welcome. Enjoy!

-steve

Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:49 PM
  • How to I do this?

Where do I set "Terminal Services" to "auto"?

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.  Does your Onecare work flawlessly now on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9?

Friday, October 17, 2008 9:54 AM
  • Click on Start, then Run.

In the box, type    services.msc

Click OK.

In the list, locate Terminal Services.

Right click it and select properties

In the Startup type box, click the drop-down arrow and select Automatic

In the Service Status section, click Start.

Click OK.

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:53 PM