Why can't I search Closed Opportunities RRS feed

• Question

• Just curious why there is no search capability for closed Opportunities. It would be nice to be able to type in the search box the Opportunity name and have it pulled up instead of having to go to the Account and go to 'Won' Opps. We've got 5 years of data in there so there can be quite alot to manually search through.

The bigger problem is we have a few business functions that develop after an opportunity is closed. 2 of these involve wanting to pull information from the actual Opportunity to avoid doulbe entering data. Same problem arises where you can't find closed opportunities in the lookup field. I know i could make another table that would just copy all the information of the opportunity into a searchable table, but I'm really not wanting to have all that information taking up two tables worth of memory.

Does anyone know a workaround to use closed Opportunities in a lookup field? I'm on CRM 4.0
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• You should search for the View Names that starts with Quick Find; scroll a bit upwards and you find the section I have highlighted with bold. From what I can see the look-up search for both closed and opened, but you can check with your installation (search xml for Lookup View).

After you have corrected the XML, import it.

Make sure you keep a safety copy; in case you make any mistake.

<fetchxml>
                  <fetch version="1.0" output-format="xml-platform" mapping="logical">
                    <entity name="opportunity">
                      <attribute name="name" />
                      <order attribute="name" descending="true" />
                      <filter type="and">
                        <condition attribute="statecode" operator="eq" value="0" />
                      </filter>
                      <filter type="or" isquickfindfields="1">
                        <condition attribute="statuscode" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_servicescope" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_responsible3" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_responsible2" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_responsible1" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_prospectnumber" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="name" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="ownerid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_projectlocation" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="modifiedby" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="description" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="customerid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="transactioncurrencyid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_contracttype" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_contactopptyid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_category" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_businessmanagerid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_businessarea" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_approvalcheck" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_item3" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_item2" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_item1" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                      </filter>
                      <attribute name="customerid" />
                      <attribute name="new_contactopptyid" />
                      <attribute name="ownerid" />
                      <attribute name="new_inqdate" />
                      <attribute name="new_bidexpirationdate" />
                      <attribute name="statuscode" />
                      <attribute name="new_servicescope" />
                      <attribute name="new_projectlocation" />
                      <attribute name="transactioncurrencyid" />
                      <attribute name="new_contracttype" />
                      <attribute name="new_businessmanagerid" />
                      <attribute name="new_approvedvalue" />
                      <attribute name="new_approvedtic" />
                      <attribute name="new_approvedgetproability" />
                      <attribute name="new_approvalcheck" />
                      <attribute name="new_prospectnumber" />
                      <attribute name="new_category" />
                      <attribute name="new_businessarea" />
                      <attribute name="estimatedclosedate" />
                      <attribute name="opportunityid" />
                    </entity>
                  </fetch>
                </fetchxml>
                <LocalizedNames>
                  <LocalizedName description="Schnellsuche: Offene Verkaufschancen" languagecode="1031" />
                  <LocalizedName description="Quick Find Open Opportunities" languagecode="1033" />
                  <LocalizedName description="Opportunités ouvertes Quick Find" languagecode="1036" />
                  <LocalizedName description="Búsqueda rápida de oportunidades abiertas" languagecode="3082" />
                </LocalizedNames>
              </savedquery>
              <savedquery>
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It's possible to exort the Opportunity config, then make a couple of minor changes to the fil, to get the functionality you are describing.

1. Export Opportunity from Export Customizations
    2. Open up the XML file in Notepad / Wordpad
    3. Find the sections for Quick Find and Lookup, then step a bit upwards to find what's described in 4)
    4. Remove default filter (something like below:
    <filter type="and">
    </filter>
    5. Save and import, and you can also search between closed and opened opportunities.

Morten

Monday, March 30, 2009 8:03 PM
  • The supported way would be to use Advanced Find where you can specify the state and any additional parameters.
    Ascentium | www.ascentium.com | www.rosslotharius.com
    • Proposed as answer by Hoss Hostetler Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:57 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Forgot to say that the proposed solution is unsupported.  But when you look at what it's doing, it can't be that wrong.

Look-up would be hard to replace with Advanced Find, you wold need to do the steps described.

I experience that most users find it hard to use advanced find, and that even if it is not ideal from a "standard pint of view", it works well to also make adjustments to the quick find.

Morten
    Monday, March 30, 2009 9:10 PM
  • I'm looking at the xml and there are several places where the
    <filter type="and">
    </filter>

is located. It appears to be for various different views (My Opps, Closed Opps, Associated Opps, etc). I can't find it for the Look-up view though which is where i would need to delete it. Basically our company does sells product so they start as opportunities. After it's a done deal we can sell individual contracts/warranties on every single product in an opportunity...so the end goal is to have a contract table and have a lookup field where the person could look up and selected a close Opp...so double entry wouldn't be necessary for parts, customer, etc etc.

Thanks in advanced.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:49 PM
  • You should search for the View Names that starts with Quick Find; scroll a bit upwards and you find the section I have highlighted with bold. From what I can see the look-up search for both closed and opened, but you can check with your installation (search xml for Lookup View).

After you have corrected the XML, import it.

Make sure you keep a safety copy; in case you make any mistake.

<fetchxml>
                  <fetch version="1.0" output-format="xml-platform" mapping="logical">
                    <entity name="opportunity">
                      <attribute name="name" />
                      <order attribute="name" descending="true" />
                      <filter type="and">
                      </filter>
                      <filter type="or" isquickfindfields="1">
                        <condition attribute="statuscode" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_servicescope" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_responsible3" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_responsible2" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_responsible1" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_prospectnumber" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="name" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="ownerid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_projectlocation" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="modifiedby" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="description" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="customerid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="transactioncurrencyid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_contracttype" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_contactopptyid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_category" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_businessmanagerid" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_businessarea" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_approvalcheck" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_item3" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_item2" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                        <condition attribute="new_item1" operator="like" value="{0}" />
                      </filter>
                      <attribute name="customerid" />
                      <attribute name="new_contactopptyid" />
                      <attribute name="ownerid" />
                      <attribute name="new_inqdate" />
                      <attribute name="new_bidexpirationdate" />
                      <attribute name="statuscode" />
                      <attribute name="new_servicescope" />
                      <attribute name="new_projectlocation" />
                      <attribute name="transactioncurrencyid" />
                      <attribute name="new_contracttype" />
                      <attribute name="new_businessmanagerid" />
                      <attribute name="new_approvedvalue" />
                      <attribute name="new_approvedtic" />
                      <attribute name="new_approvedgetproability" />
                      <attribute name="new_approvalcheck" />
                      <attribute name="new_prospectnumber" />
                      <attribute name="new_category" />
                      <attribute name="new_businessarea" />
                      <attribute name="estimatedclosedate" />
                      <attribute name="opportunityid" />
                    </entity>
                  </fetch>
                </fetchxml>
                <LocalizedNames>
                  <LocalizedName description="Schnellsuche: Offene Verkaufschancen" languagecode="1031" />
                  <LocalizedName description="Quick Find Open Opportunities" languagecode="1033" />
                  <LocalizedName description="Opportunités ouvertes Quick Find" languagecode="1036" />
                  <LocalizedName description="Búsqueda rápida de oportunidades abiertas" languagecode="3082" />
                </LocalizedNames>
              </savedquery>
              <savedquery>
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:26 PM
  • I found the section...deleted the lines...reimported and published and the quickfind view now allows me to search for closed opportunities which is great...but the lesser of the 2 problems I had. I'm going to scan the document to see if I can narrow out the Lookup View section cause that's where the bigger problem lies...being able to use a lookup field on another form to look up closed Ops...

I'll let you know what i get. Thanks for the help...it was tremendously useful.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Hi Morten,

How about CRM online ?

Monday, November 4, 2013 8:02 AM