Vista Premium OEM laptop 32bit/64bit install problems?? RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a new Toshiba laptop with Windows Premium preinstalled of course. It has the required 4 Meg of Ram & can either have 32bit or 64bit as your choice of Op. As i specially wanted 64bit Vista I was told this was no problem & I would have a choice on the first start up which was true so I chose the 64bit option and proceeded with the installation.
    I now find that in the system properties, after I have spent countless hours installing programs, it is showing a 32bit Op system?
    Can anyone help me understand why this happened & how to fix this problem. I have looked on many sites but nothing so far. I am not a novice & definately selected the 64bit option!
    I am thinking that I may have to reinstall Vista, I have the recovery discs, so I can get back to the choice of the Op system without having to install my software programs again?
    Also has anyone else had the problem before?
    Regards
    Mark
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:44 AM

Answers

• Hello dropdead,

For Retail copies of Vista, when you install, you have to install either 32 or 64bit. Meaning you can't install and then choose later.  Your Laptop came with a OEM copy of Vista. I have never heard of a Manufacturer include an OEM copy of both 32 and 64 bit preinstalled on a computer (customers usually have to specify at the time of purchase if they want 32 or 64bit). But if Toshiba has come up with a way to do it, then it would be a custom configeration of some sort and you would need to contact them for assistance.

It may be a long shot, but you may also try asking in one of the Vista Anwers forums http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista if anyone has experience with this.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS 
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 10:29 PM