Email Component for Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• will there be an add-on for home server to allow it to handle email, basically some kind of reduced exchange server, there is already a very good exchange server on the Small business Server product, so maybe you could port that over to the home server.

As long as you are not dealing with domains I think the average user would be able to manage a home email server.

Thanks

Dominic Coombe

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:40 AM

All replies

• You will not see Exchange on Windows Home Server. Microsoft's market research indicated that the vast majority of the WHS target market is happy with their current email solution, which is normally a hosted solution from their ISP or a service like Hotmail. In addition, Exchange requires Active Directory.

It's possible that an ISV will develop an add-in. There's an example of this on the Coding4Fun blog. If you're so inclined, you could follow the steps laid out there and "roll your own".
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:54 AM
  • Or look at installing a Third Party Mailserver - have a look at Smartermail http://www.smartertools.com/Products/SmarterMail/Free.aspx, free use for a single domain and 10 or less users. I've installed it on WHS and confirmed it works just fine. Good webmail and good Outlook integration.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:57 AM
  • Good point, I keep forgetting about them...
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:07 AM