Internet Connection Sharing Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Asus P5N32-Sli Premium motherboard that comes with a Wi-Fi access point as part of the MB.
    Before I installed OneCare other devices could connect to my computer and share my internet connect from my LAN.

I have this setup:
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition
    Windows Live OneCare 2.0 (obviously)
    Ethernet LAN internet connection
    Wireless AP shared with LAN

I allowed other devices, I enabled ICS, I pretty much enabled everything I could see and made sure it was in a Private zone.

The only way other devices can connect to my PC is when I turn off the firewall.

As I have two ethernet ports, to get around this, I plug in my Xbox 360 to my second ethernet and share that for the time being, however every time I turn off my Xbox 360, or turn it on, it changes to a Public zone, even when I told it not to.
    Any ideas for either of these problems?

I want it to ALWAYS be a private zone but it changes every time a new device connects,
    and other devices can't access the internet when connecting to my PCs access point so long as the firewall is turned on.

Again, ICS is enabled inside the firewall, i'm in a "Home or Work" zone, Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is checked under Ports and Protocols.

This problem is not exclusive to my Xbox 360 trying to connect.  My other laptop, my PSP, my DS, and my 360 all can not connect.  So it's not just a Xbox 360 issue.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 1:21 AM

Answers

• Please do the following.

a) Get your setup into a state, when you are having trouble

b) On the computer with OneCare, Change Settings>Firewall Tab>Advanced Settings>Network Connections

c) Ensure all the networks that you see listed there are marked private

If that does not resolve the problem, please do the following

a) On the computer with OneCare, Change Settings>Logging tab

b) Uncheck the checkbox that says "detailed firewall logging", hit apply, check it again. If it was unchecked already, just check it and hit apply

c) Reproduce the problem

d) Run c:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\OneCareSupport.exe to generate the log

e) File a bug using feedback site https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=168

Thanks for trying our beta and helping us work out the kinks.

Thanks a lot!

Neeraj Garg

Friday, August 10, 2007 5:14 AM