none
CScript Error: Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script "C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs" - a solution

Question

• I came across this error in troubleshooting an MGADiag report to solve a non-genuine message on a Vista computer.
    It took a large amount of searching to find the clue to the answer - so I thought I'd post my solution here in the hope that it gets a little easier to find for others in the same position

CScript Error: Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script "C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs".

This was preventing the Software Licensing Service in Vista doing what it needs to - and consequently giving rise to the non-genuine message, despite a perfectly genuine install.

The conventional response is to re-register the dll using

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

This works fine in many instances - but in this case, although the registration gave rise to the 'succeeded' message, as it should (thereby showing that the dll was present), there was no change in the response from MGADiag.

Eventually, I got a clue to the problem from an obscure blog, which mentioned that some AV's blocked a particular registry entry, by substituting their own dll for the vbscript one.

The penny dropped at last - so I created a small reg file to put the default entry there instead.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\Windows\\system32\\vbscript.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Both"
    with fingers and toes crossed, I sent instructions to download and merge the file.
    .....and it worked! The thread was by that time 45 long, with just the two of us in it.
    Huge sighs of relief all round,

Not a bad result   - and yes, it should also work in Windows 7 and XP

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks Noel and good work tracking that down.

Going to mark this as Answered, but I've assigned this thread to myself (so I can find it again quickly).

...OK, looks like Assigning a Thread doesn't work once the thread is marked as Answered. Going to have to save the URL in my Forum Resources doc.

Thanks again,

Darin MS

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:10 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Thanks Noel and good work tracking that down.

Going to mark this as Answered, but I've assigned this thread to myself (so I can find it again quickly).

...OK, looks like Assigning a Thread doesn't work once the thread is marked as Answered. Going to have to save the URL in my Forum Resources doc.

Thanks again,

Darin MS

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:10 PM
    Owner
  • "Darin Smith MS" wrote in message news:0ebd867e-0e7b-402a-af1e-51cb399a1105...

Thanks Noel and good work tracking that down.

Thanks again,

Darin MS

Hehe -  here’s another link to the same (almost) post.

At least that one achieved its stated object – it’s now on the first page of a Google search for any sensible variation of the error message :)  (as far as I can tell)

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Thanks a bunch.  Had the exact same problem, and it also was the AV's fault.   Your solution worked brilliantly.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:36 PM
  • "asterismW" wrote in message news:6350d6fd-02ff-445f-9e05-5fc4ffe3ad1f...
    Thanks a bunch.  Had the exact same problem, and it also was the AV's fault.   Your solution worked brilliantly.

Thanks for the feedback – which AV? (or do I need to ask?)

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:36 PM
  • McAfee, which I don't personally use, but which we have at work.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:55 PM
  • "asterismW" wrote in message news:ccd594bc-2a61-439e-8e1b-a182951a8505...
    McAfee, which I don't personally use, but which we have at work.

To be honest. I’m a little surprised, unless the version of McAfee is an old one – I was under the impression that they had got beyond this simplistic method of countering a threat.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:12 AM
  • Hi Noel, I have been trying to fix the same problem all week even free trial of dll.files.com couldn't then I saw your post, and tried it and it worked, I cant believe it, and cant thank you enough, I was pulling my last bit of hair out till now, THANKYOU, Phil GB
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:27 AM
  • "Phil 1950" wrote in message news:c19b475b-95ab-4a6d-bed8-03912b425e4b...
    Hi Noel, I have been trying to fix the same problem all week even free trial of dll.files.com couldn't then I saw your post, and tried it and it worked, I cant believe it, and cant thank you enough, I was pulling my last bit of hair out till now, THANKYOU, Phil GB

You’re welcome – good luck!

Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:32 AM
  • I tried, but I got this message:

Cannot import C:\Users\Emeryk\Desktop\regfix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

Monday, May 28, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Boot to Safe Mode, and try again.

What Anti-Virus are you using?

What other security software do you have installed?

Monday, May 28, 2012 7:15 PM
  • I'm using Kaspersky Anti-Virus and also have installed "Malwarebytes" but it only runs when I execute it.

When I bought my laptop it came with Windows 7 Home Premium (Genuine) installed. I recently Installed Revo Uninstaller to uninstall a program. Since then I receive the message 0x8004fe22 "This computer is not running genuine Windows". After this, I tried to restore the system to the point before using Revo but I get "System restore did not complete successfully. Your coputer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: An error was detected in the volume Shadow Copy Serice (VSS). The problem ocurred while trying to contact VSS writers. Verify that the Event System service and the VSS service are running and check for associated errors in the event logs. (0x80042318)..."  Since I can't restore the system I was trying to validate the Key Product but couldn't cause "slmgr.vbs" wasn't working. So I went on MGADiag and in the Licensing tab it says: "C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs(22,1) (null): Library not registered." So before I continue with the solution you are suggesting above, I would like to know if this is going to help me solve my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:30 AM
  • Please start a new thread of your own in the appropriate WGA Forum, and include a full MGADiag report. (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/threads )

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

I have my suspicions what I'll see - have you been usng any form of Registry 'Cleaner' or 'Optimiser'?

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Hey Noel D Paton would you please follow my thread, maybe you can help me solve my problem. I would really appreciate your help.
    Thank you.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:02 AM