Totally locked out of normal mode RRS feed

• Question

• The countdown for activation for my Dell laptop has expired. My system now will not let me boot up in normal mode; it just displays a query if I want to activate my system. I have no network or internet access, so I can't do an activation, a WGA diagnostic or anything. I'm dead in the water. I can boot into Safe Mode but can't do an activation from there. The activation message on screen is labeled XP Pro but my OS is XP Home. What other kind of info do you need to help resolve this? Or is this enough?

Thanks

Monday, September 11, 2006 6:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• How to Perform a Repair Install of Windows XP:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Monday, September 11, 2006 7:11 PM
  • Monday, September 11, 2006 7:24 PM
  • Phil, you can't do an activation in safe mode. I tried it using the instructions on your link. Safe mode is the only mode in which I have access to the operating system. Plus no internet access in any mode.

Thanks for the replys.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:16 PM
  • Carey, thank you, I will try this method this evening when I can get on the machine. Appreciate any help on this.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:21 PM
  • When booting into normal-mode, you'll have to telephone activate. After the 30-day trial period, Activation is mandatory though.

-phil

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:32 PM
  • Phil, the problem is that I CAN NOT boot into normal mode. After clicking all the "yes I want to activate" buttons when the question comes up, it logs me off, saves personal settings and takes me back to the initial page asking if I want to activate. It's a loop each time in normal mode. No internet access, no activation options, no nothing. Safe mode capabilities only. If it can't get done in safe mode, it ain't going to get done.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:15 AM
  • Quoted here:

"The activation message on screen is labeled XP Pro but my OS is XP Home"

Have you had your computer sent to a technician and had it repaired??? If you had, the technician might have installed another copy of windows on your computer, thus creating an issue with activation. It will give you 30 days to activate windows, and if you're unable to activate it within the given time, your computer will be locked. Which is what you're experiencing right now.

For DELL PCs, windows will not require you to re-activate. Unless you've made changes to your harddrive, but that is the only time that you'd have to re-activate it.

What we would recommend you to do is either go back to the technician who installed windows on your computer or do a clean install on your PC, using a DELL CD. Make sure its a DELL CD, otherwise you'll be back to square one.

Please let me know if you had someone reinstall windows on your computer

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 4:15 PM

• The end of the matter is that I have had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall the OS. I am not sure what caused all of this as the original installation was a factory install of the OS. I am not pleased with the snafu that Microsoft has caused on innocent owners. But thanks to each on the forum to express interest in my problem.

lukebizzy
    Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:36 PM