Illegal XP again or messed up install? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all

After upgrading from win2k to XP using Xp purchased via a re-seller on amazon, I was disappointed to find that the version was detected as non-genuine. The vendor was contacted and  sent a full, boxed, unopened XP. Upon re-installing again, I am faced with exactly the same error when validated by Microsoft. I did, however run the regedit and then activate the XP installation using the new product key more than once, then went for a complete install usiing the newly supplied software.

Given that this has happend twice, I an questioning if I have not left some traces of the old key somewhere in the registry or elsewhere. The Key Update tool which I only found earlier today, tells me that the new key I have entered is the one I am configured for already.

As requested, here's the details of my product:

- The box windows came in has a product Certificate with the following details

E85-02667

PO 6000073807  Line5

WO D587009_5_1-10050 TEAM:MSIN

Windows XP Professional English

Intl CD w/sp2

Inside the box is a folder containing the XP cd which passes the validation checks, and I have the product key printedon a sticker inside the folder. This looks extremely professional and not at all an obvious copy. What I don't have, however, is any COA sticker to put on the PC itself.

The results of the Diagnostic tool are as follows:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JGPVD-HR94D-YRT2W
    Windows Product Key Hash: JCljDsWaBp2RjeXudnYAqs2RArE=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-2353474-23866
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {45E67A80-91E8-4B44-8748-06D6F969829C}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{45E67A80-91E8-4B44-8748-06D6F969829C}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YRT2W</PKey><PID>55274-640-2353474-23866</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-583907252-1202660629-1708537768</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>FUJITSU SIEMENS</Manufacturer><Model>SCENIC eD</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd.</Manufacturer><Version>4.06  Rev. 1.15.1170            </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010412000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>C23734A701846056</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Romance Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

What I'm looking for is guidance as to whether I should go back to the re-seller yet again before requesting a genuine Advantage kit from Microsoft, or if this IS indeed a genuine  distribution, and that I have messed up the installation somewhere.

Many thanks

Mark

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:16 PM

Answers

• Hello Mark,

Can you please confirm if these numbers match the last 15 digits of your product key for Windows XP: JGPVD-HR94D-YRT2W?  If so unfortunately this is a non-genuine copy of Windows.  This product key is whats known as a VLK or Volume License Key which is soley meant for businesses, schools, governments etc and is not to be sold/given to the general public.  I would highly suggest seeking a refund from this seller and purchasing a genuine copy from a known good vendor (not an auction site).  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Hello Matt

Yes I can confirm the last 15 digits are what I have in my product key with the replacement I was sent. Disappointing but at least you've pointed me in the right direction.

I'll be contacting the vendor once again.

Many thanks indeed

Mark

Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:00 AM

All replies

• Hello Mark,

Can you please confirm if these numbers match the last 15 digits of your product key for Windows XP: JGPVD-HR94D-YRT2W?  If so unfortunately this is a non-genuine copy of Windows.  This product key is whats known as a VLK or Volume License Key which is soley meant for businesses, schools, governments etc and is not to be sold/given to the general public.  I would highly suggest seeking a refund from this seller and purchasing a genuine copy from a known good vendor (not an auction site).  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Hello Matt

Yes I can confirm the last 15 digits are what I have in my product key with the replacement I was sent. Disappointing but at least you've pointed me in the right direction.

I'll be contacting the vendor once again.

Many thanks indeed

Mark

Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:00 AM