Workflow question (CRM 4) RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, this seems a really simple, obvious request, but I cannot figure out a way to get Dynamics to do it.

- When a phone call that is related to an account is saved as complete, I want to update a couple of fields on the account record to say when it was last contacted and by whom.

Seem simple?

I can't get it to work at all - I thought the answer was in workflow, but, no, workflow won't solve it - I try updating Regarding (Account) with the values, but it won't update the account if it was part of a campaign.  Why isn't there a Recipient (Account) that I can update in Workflow?  If the phone call was part of a (quick) campaign then I have no means of reaching the account record from workflow to update it!

Do I have to write a custom assembly for this?

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:23 PM

Answers

• Here is a method that works well for Phone calls (CRM 4.0):

1.  Create a date attribute on the contact called "last activity date"

2.  Create a new workflow in CRM workflow associated with Phone Calls. Make this workflow run on Status Change.

3.  Insert a step to update records.  For the record type to update, select regarding (contact). Click set properites to open the record configuration screen.  This will open the contact form.

4.  Select the last activity date field.  Using the form assistant, in the "look for" section, select phone call and actual end (since this is a phone call activity, we want to record the date the call was completed, not the date it was created, as phone calls are frequently scheduled before they are performed.

5.  Save and close your new workflow, and don't forget to publish it.

The problem is, the Regarding field can only hold one name. So if you have a phone call invloving youself an 2 or more contacts, only the one specified in the Regarding field gets updated. This is especially problematic for Appointments which often involve many contacts.

Does someone has a solution, or a workflow assembly that they are willing to share?

Al
    Friday, July 11, 2008 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Imran - I don't think it can be done via workflow!  I'm going to try a custom workflow

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:39 PM
  • you can achieve this through plugins on update , one more possibility is CRM workflow assembly

Regards,

Imran

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Here is a method that works well for Phone calls (CRM 4.0):

1.  Create a date attribute on the contact called "last activity date"

2.  Create a new workflow in CRM workflow associated with Phone Calls. Make this workflow run on Status Change.

3.  Insert a step to update records.  For the record type to update, select regarding (contact). Click set properites to open the record configuration screen.  This will open the contact form.

4.  Select the last activity date field.  Using the form assistant, in the "look for" section, select phone call and actual end (since this is a phone call activity, we want to record the date the call was completed, not the date it was created, as phone calls are frequently scheduled before they are performed.

5.  Save and close your new workflow, and don't forget to publish it.

The problem is, the Regarding field can only hold one name. So if you have a phone call invloving youself an 2 or more contacts, only the one specified in the Regarding field gets updated. This is especially problematic for Appointments which often involve many contacts.

Does someone has a solution, or a workflow assembly that they are willing to share?

Al
    Friday, July 11, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Does anyone have a solution, or a workflow assembly that they are willing to share?

Al
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:58 PM