none
Restoring a Synchronized Folder from a backup, any danger? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Before I ask my question, I sincerely wish to congratulate the SyncToy team for their work. This tool is simply perfect for real world usage and I couldn't live without it anymore!

My question:
    I need to temporary remove some synchronized folders from my hard drive (before I send my laptop to the HP support service). So, I'm going to copy them to a backup location (external hard drive), and restore them back when my laptop is repaired. Should I take care of something special related to SyncToy 2? The direct copy process (plain files or RAR archive) won't break anything? I've made a minimal test with two dummy folders and it seems to work when I restore one of the folder that I previously deleted. But I prefer to ask...

Thanks in advance,
    Best regards,

-lonestarr42
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:30 PM

Answers

• Hi lonestarr42,

I feel pretty happy to hear you choose SyncToy. SyncToy is a right tool to backup data. As you mentioned, you just want to backup hard drive data to HDD, and you can make a folder pair with a left folder on your laptop and with a right folder on your HDD.

One thing to be mentioned, if you want to sync files, they must be in a folder. So folder is the syncing unit between your laptop hard disk and your HDD. BTW, if your folder is too large, you could divide it into some sub-folders in SyncToy.

May this could help you

Thanks,

Danish

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:05 AM