RCN Blocks Port 80, how can I use remote access? RRS feed

• Question

• HI! Just started using the Vail Beta and having a lot of fun testing it out!

I recently tried to enable remove access and noticed the connector always stated there were problems with either the ISP blocking necessary ports, or bad port forwarding. The port forwarding is set up manually through the router, so I know it's done right, so I assume RCN is blocking port 80. Googling around asking about RCN and port 80 confirms that they block it for dynamic address users (although it seems Vail is equipped to handle changing external IP addresses). As a result, remote access only works on my internal network.

Is there anyway to move the Vail webserver over to port 81 or 82? Otherwise I'm kinda out of luck, along with most other RCN users who don't want to pay extra for a static IP. 

Excessive use of hardware.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:33 AM

Answers

• You can try accessing your server through the https protocol instead of http. If RCN blocks port 443, though, remote access will not work.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by StormEffect Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:39 AM

All replies

• You can try accessing your server through the https protocol instead of http. If RCN blocks port 443, though, remote access will not work.
    • Marked as answer by StormEffect Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:39 AM
  • It looks as though 443 is open, but how do I set it to be used when trying to access my homeserver? I.E. through my xx.homeserver.com address?

EDIT: Oh nevermind! Use https:// hahah. Thanks! 

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:48 AM
  • Hopefully at some point MS can make it so that I don't have a huge red X in the action center because RCN wont unlock port 80. It's screaming that the router isn't set up right, but now I know that it's just the ISP blocking port 80. 

EDIT: So does anyone know how to change the HTTP port for WHSv2? It would be good to know once I get the real server going, especially because I don't want to always see this error in the dashboard that the router is setup incorrectly. 

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Hopefully at some point MS can make it so that I don't have a huge red X in the action center because RCN wont unlock port 80. It's screaming that the router isn't set up right, but now I know that it's just the ISP blocking port 80. 

EDIT: So does anyone know how to change the HTTP port for WHSv2? It would be good to know once I get the real server going, especially because I don't want to always see this error in the dashboard that the router is setup incorrectly. 

Changing the port is unlikely to be supported. It creates a usability issue for people accessing the Remote Access web site (they need to remember that this web site uses a port other than 80, and include the port explicitly in the URL) and a maintenance issue.

In addition, it potentially creates a legal issue for the broadband subscriber. If your broadband provider blocks port 80, presumably that also means that they prohibit activity on their network which needs that port. Violating the terms of your service agreement can result in termination of service, large bills for a class of service that your provider will say you should have been paying for (possibly since you started with them), or even legal action and court-ordered restitution, damages, etc.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:05 AM

Changing the port is unlikely to be supported. It creates a usability issue for people accessing the Remote Access web site (they need to remember that this web site uses a port other than 80, and include the port explicitly in the URL) and a maintenance issue.

In addition, it potentially creates a legal issue for the broadband subscriber. If your broadband provider blocks port 80, presumably that also means that they prohibit activity on their network which needs that port. Violating the terms of your service agreement can result in termination of service, large bills for a class of service that your provider will say you should have been paying for (possibly since you started with them), or even legal action and court-ordered restitution, damages, etc.

Thanks for all the responses! RCN definitely offers an open port 80, but only provided you pay 20 dollars per month for the implied static IP address. 

I've been reading up, and as far as I can tell, it looks like most major ISPs block port 80 unless you shell out for a static IP address, which, I admit, makes sense. Most people running a webserver (port 80) will prefer a static IP implicitly. 

This DOES present a big issue for remote access though. The majority of WHS users will have their server screaming at them constantly unless they pay their ISP extra money every month. In other words, WHSv2 will continue to spit out critical errors every 10 minutes unless port 80 is opened by your ISP. While I don't mind just dealing with the issue by using port 443 (https), I really can't stand Vail yelling at me to fix something I do not intend to fix (unless Microsoft wants to subsidize a static IP address). Is there a way to tell the remote access monitor to stop working with port 80 and start working exclusively with port 443? 

If this isn't possible, I think I will just try to start a new suggestion on connect about this. Even give Vail the ability to determine that at least ONE of the ports is functional. In other words, have it report that it will only function in partial (secure only) mode instead of just saying that a network cable is probably unplugged and I should L2Reboot. 

Excessive use of hardware.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:11 PM
  • I have not tried this myself, but does your router do port redirection in port
    forwarding? what router do you have?

Try (example) mapping 8000 to 80 in your router and forwarding that to the IP of
    the Vail box.

Then, to access over the Internet, try

servername.homeserver.com:8000

no sure if this would get you around the RCN limitation, but you don't have
    anything to lose.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:11:06 +0000, StormEffect wrote:

>Hopefully at some point MS can make it so that I don't have a huge red X in the action center because RCN wont unlock port 80. It's screaming that the router isn't set up right, but now I know that it's just the ISP blocking port 80. 
    >
    >
    >EDIT: So does anyone know how to change the HTTP port for WHSv2? It would be good to know once I get the real server going, especially because I don't want to always see this error in the dashboard that the router is setup incorrectly. 

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:52 AM