none
"The master browser has received a server announcement...

Question

• Every night now my WHS goes off the network..  Not all PC's get backed up and some nights only one pc backup is completed.

I think the system continues to run ok while it is off the network, only because I see a log message after I reboot in the morning "The previous system shutdown at 8:59:57 AM on 12/9/2007 was unexpected."

I have no idea what is causing this so I am posting errors that I can find. 

Should I reinstall WHS or what?

Event System log

12/5  4:19AM  

The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\B were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

12/6 12:08 AM

The time service has not synchronized the system time for 86400 seconds because none of the time service providers provided a usable time stamp. The time service is no longer synchronized and cannot provide the time to other clients or update the system clock. Monitor the system events displayed in the Event Viewer to make sure that a more serious problem does not exist.

12/7 2:20 AM, 3:44 AM

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer PS-E1EB1B81FD12 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{C21BB7A6-97D. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

12/7 4:33 AM

A worker process with process id of '3280' serving application pool 'RemoteAccessAppPool' has requested a recycle because the worker process reached its allowed processing time limit.

5:20 AM, 6:20 AM and 7:32 AM

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer PS-E1EB1B81FD12 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{C21BB7A6-97D. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

With the exception of the shadow copy message the others repeat over subsequent days.

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:15 PM

All replies

• I'm presuming your WHS is in a workgroup, rather than a domain?

2:20 and 6:20 and 7:32

In a network, only one PC can be the "master browser" and hold the list of which other PCs on the network. When a PC starts up it causes an "election" on the network to determine which machine is the best suited to hold the list and usually your server wins as it scores more points, you just never get to see the results Smile Could be the backup process waking this particular machine up.

12:08 Time service fails to update every now and again, no problem unless this goes on for a long time.

4:19 Shadow Copy failing implies your server was very busy at that time.

4:33 No remote access going on, release the resources until needed.

So none of these are particularly significant. The question is, what caused your server to shut down at just before 9 AM ? Something is possibly interupting the power, causing the machine to reboot. Is it the same time every day? When you say

I see a log message after I reboot in the morning
    what do you mean by "reboot in the morning"?

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:45 PM
  •  

I have to reboot the machine in the morning since it is no longer available via the icon or Remote desktop.  It is simply unreachable through the network.  I physically push the button on the front of the machine to get it rebooted and available again.

Paul

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Ah, thanks. Just wanted to be sure I was understanding you correctly.

Can you look in the Application and Home Server logs for this timespan and see if there's any other entries that give a clue?

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:29 PM
  • In the app log there is nothing in the timframe but upon reboots these errors are noted

The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINDOWS\system32\aspperf.dll" for the "ASP" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.

The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINDOWS\system32\infoctrs.dll" for the "InetInfo" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.

The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\w3ctrs.dll" for the "W3SVC" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.

Hopme server log

Last night backups started and one PC was succesfully completed at 1:53 AM

2:11 AM The Windows Home Server Transport service started successfully.

2:12 AM Windows home storage manager service started.

2:13 AM The Client Backup Service has started.

Why didn't the backup service continue on at 1:53 AM?  Why at 2:13 do the logs indicate the service is only stating?

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:55 PM
  • I get a couple of those too, including infoctrs.dll, which I keep meaning to resolve, but they aren't show stoppers just to do with the performance monitor and the web server.

OK, 20 questions (OK, 6): is it always the same machine that does get backed up? Is there anything in the event logs for any of the others? Are they being woken up to do the backup? Do you put them all to the same depth of sleep at the end of the day? Are the BIOS power settings the same? Are any of them laptops?

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:35 AM
  •  

When I first set up WHS in mid November, the backups of all machines went smoothly.  I have not changed anything on the pc's (including 1 laptop) since.

I have had some problems since the November update that ultimately resulted in WHS spontaneously dumping all backups.  See (http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2499361&SiteID=50)

Since then the backups have not occurred as they once did.  The only machine that backed up last night was the first one on the list.  I am presuming (server is off now) that WHS will move down the list of PC's in the order they were entered.  I will verify in a little bit.  And that one wasn't backing up until I forced it to do a manual backup.  From then on it has backed up daily.   

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:53 AM
  • I don't think the order's significant - it varies here, though it seems to favour the last on the list.

The fact that they were working well but aren't now is a concern. Have you run discover.exe on the client machines, just to give them a tickle, or tried reinstalling the connector software?

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:04 AM
  •  

discover.exe? How do I do that?  

The client machines seem to work because they all display the icon and status.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:32 AM
  • Apologies, that's discovery.exe and is found in \program files\windows home server on the client machine.

As you say, they all seem to work but something isn't, so maybe there's a setting that's not right. Reinstalling the connector software from \\server\share won't break it anymore than it is already.

Is there any evidence in the event logs on one of the client machines that Home Server has attempted to initiate anything or that the machine has been raised from sleep so backup could be attempted? When my laptop's off there is no backup attempt for it in the WHS log.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Ok.  Last night I disabled all backups, and for the first time in as long as I can remember, the server DIDN'T dissapear from the network. 

This morning I tried to manually backup one PC.  It failed with 96% complete ..."c:\reorganizing data on the server failed problem with the connector software see system event log" as shown by the dialog box at the PC. 

Once again the server dissapeared from the network!

I rebooted the server, reinstalled the connector software at the pc and tried to manually back up again with the exact result.

I AM AT MY WITS END HERE!!!!!  HOW DO I GET THIS SERVER WORKING PROPERLY ??????????

Event log Windows delayed write failed.  Device\Hoees server Recycler \Deleted Dir 0\RP1207  The data has been lost.

Backup set 0 on SERVER failed: System.ArgumentException: Expected BeginBackupSet response, received BeginBackupSetFailed response.

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.Consume(Response response)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.RecvBeginBackupSet()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

9:11:51 AM

Backup of volume C: to SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadInt()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(BackupVolumePhase phase)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Oddly, while the PC is reproting these errors, the server is reporting success:

9:06:36 AM

Backup set 4 for 102-39593 has finished.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.as

As I said up at the top, i made a second attempt to manally backup the pc and the the server reported success while the PC reported a failure.

Anyone want to see the logs?  let me know.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:27 PM
  •  

I forgot to mention at 9:08 the server logged this message again:

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:30 PM
  • As mentioned before, the master browser message is just the machines deciding who's going to keep the list of machines on the network.

Are you using static or dynamic IP addresses on the network? Is WHS in its default workgroup? Are you running a domain on your network? Is one of the machines a work laptop?

Event log Windows delayed write failed.  Device\Hoees server Recycler \Deleted Dir 0\RP1207  The data has been lost.

This is not good Sad Write-caching improves performance, but this message suggests a potential hardware fault which caused the cache to fail. This can lose data. A quick search for this on the Internet will give you some suggestions for the cause, which includes driver, bios, memory parity, drive cable, or worse controller or media faults. Is this on the server or one of the PCs?

Client / Server connection lost
    This seems significant. Looks like it may be necessary to look at the NICs and drivers to see if there's some incompatibility - some people have reported issues with certain network cards.

Have you looked at the contents of the second manual backup to see if it was indeed successful? How does the entry look in the console's computers and backups list?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 11:31 PM