Customer portal works on Azure but no on Web Server (2003 IIS 6) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, customer portal works perfectly fine from Win Azure. But when I try to host from a web server (web hosting company) Windows 2003 IIS 6, Live ID doesn't get authenticated. ie. When I try to log-in, I see the 'Windows Live ID' button. 

Click on the Live ID button, enter customer Logon credentials, redirects back to home page with 'Sign in' prompt. 

What am I missing here. I enabled the wildcard for IIS6.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:03 PM

Answers

• To use Live ID with the portal, you have to use the Live ID invitation mechanism.  Since you mentioned the portal works fine from Azure, but does not work when you moved it to another provider, I am going to assume that you changed your Live ID app settings.  If so, please note that Live ID completely separates each app from the other, and when you log in with the same Live ID account on two different websites, you get different tokens.  In essence, your user will be a new user on your portal and you will have to go through the same invitation mechanism again.  Live ID does not make it easy to migrate your site from one domain name to another. 

I also do not understand what you meant by "I enabled the wildcard for IIS6".  Can you be more specific?

Thanks,
    Shan

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Marked as answer by Palak Kadakia Monday, January 23, 2012 2:20 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Please review the administration guide.  This solution is based on a content management system.  You can have your content authors edit the content using the CMS controls in the website.  The instructions on how to configure this and how to use the CMS controls are included in the documentation.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:01 PM

All replies

• To use Live ID with the portal, you have to use the Live ID invitation mechanism.  Since you mentioned the portal works fine from Azure, but does not work when you moved it to another provider, I am going to assume that you changed your Live ID app settings.  If so, please note that Live ID completely separates each app from the other, and when you log in with the same Live ID account on two different websites, you get different tokens.  In essence, your user will be a new user on your portal and you will have to go through the same invitation mechanism again.  Live ID does not make it easy to migrate your site from one domain name to another. 

I also do not understand what you meant by "I enabled the wildcard for IIS6".  Can you be more specific?

Thanks,
    Shan

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hi Shan, thanks. Yes it works. I just need to re-create the invitationcode. 
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Do we have the flexibility to edit the home page? We looked at the home.aspx but couldn't do much there. where do we need to look at? 
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Please review the administration guide.  This solution is based on a content management system.  You can have your content authors edit the content using the CMS controls in the website.  The instructions on how to configure this and how to use the CMS controls are included in the documentation.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi, I installed the customer portal (from adxstudio)and it was working fine (under Win 2003/IIS6). I ran the website copy for XRM partner portal and I was able to login with partner login credentials. However, I could not create accounts (as the channel access was missing). So I tried to un-install the customer portal (so that I can install the XRM Partner portal). However, the system doesn't let me un-install the XRM customer portal. I get the following Error message. Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: An unexpected error occurred.Detail: <OrganizationServiceFault xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/xrm/2011/Contracts"> <ErrorCode>-2147220970</ErrorCode> <ErrorDetails xmlns:d2p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" /> <Message>An unexpected error occurred.</Message> <Timestamp>2011-09-21T19:11:45.204733Z</Timestamp> <InnerFault i:nil="true" /> <TraceText i:nil="true" /> </OrganizationServiceFault>
    • Edited by CRM elite Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:21 PM