Vail refresh installation stuck with "setup is preparing your computer for first use" RRS feed

• Question

• I had the installation of Vail V1 installed at working perfect.
    So now I tried to install the Vail refresh, but it gets stuck with "setup is preparing your computer for first use"
    I have been leaving over the night, but it's still the same, nothing changes.

I can do Alt+F4 and get the desktop, but it's empty, I only get the mouse pointer.

I have done the installation by DVD and from USB, still the same thing.

Has this happened to anyone else here?

/Peter

Friday, August 20, 2010 2:03 PM

Answers

• The only other suggestion I can think of is to write ones and zeros to the hard drive (low level format) and start from there. Sometimes that will work when nothing else will. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

I just download the one for DOS and it's pretty straightforward. Takes forever and three days, but once the drive's clean, you shouldn't have any more problems.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSAPENI" wrote in message news:360bf89b-b4d8-46cd-9b09-86ce9bdf2348@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,
    Just a wild guess...
    Do you by any chance have a WHSv1 named "SERVER" in your network?

[I had a similar problem when installing VAIL refresh on a hadless system (unattended install). It hung twice without a network conection so I could not see what was happening. Until my routers DHCP listed VAIL an additional machine named "SERVER".
    Shut down WHSv1. Restarted the VAIL machine which then started configuring the system. No problems with the install from there...?]

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server

I have a WHSv1named "HOME-SERVER" so I shut it down, but it gets stuck at the same place anyway, I have also burnt the DVD ay 1x speed without any change.

No matter what I do it gets stuck at "setup is preparing your computer for first use"

I don't get any error meassage or anything else, when I do Alt+F4 the setup screen disappear and I get the empty desktop, but I can't start anything or check if some drivers are missing.
    No other keyboard shortcut than Alt+F4 seems to work.

Nancy Ward

Hi Nancy,
    I used the software copywipe as you suggested, but it was still the same result, but I have installed win 2008 and win 7 to that disk today without any problem.
    So I decided to try with a new disk, and it installed to that one without any problem.

So it seems that the new WHS vail is a bit more tough regarding the disk you install it to, I can still install the first vail beta without any problem, but not the refresh.

Probably there's some HW problem with that disk, it's one of the first gen. SATA disks and it's 6 years old, only used for testing, guess it's time to put it to rest now :-)

Thanks for your help anyway.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:38 PM

All replies

• I've installed twice, and both times, it went perfectly. Well . . . after I burned the DVD a second time. Burned it at full speed the first time and it didn't "take".

I felt really stupid after checking all my hardware, connections, etc. only to figure out at the last step of re-burning the DVD that everything went smoothly.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSAPENI" wrote in message news:1b8dbae9-c655-41d4-af74-b3beac8694db@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I had the installation of Vail V1 installed at working perfect.
    So now I tried to install the Vail refresh, but it gets stuck with "setup is preparing your computer for first use"

I can do Alt+F4 and get the desktop, but it's empty, I only get the mouse pointer.

/Peter

Nancy Ward
    Friday, August 20, 2010 3:04 PM
  • I've installed twice, and both times, it went perfectly. Well . . . after I burned the DVD a second time. Burned it at full speed the first time and it didn't "take".

I felt really stupid after checking all my hardware, connections, etc. only to figure out at the last step of re-burning the DVD that everything went smoothly.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSAPENI" wrote in message news:1b8dbae9-c655-41d4-af74-b3beac8694db@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

/Peter

Nancy Ward

Did you get stuck at the same place as I did?

I will try and burn a new DVD at low speed, but I don't think that's the problem.
    I got same problem when trying to install from a USB stick.

But it's worth trying.

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Hi,
    Just a wild guess...

[I had a similar problem when installing VAIL refresh on a hadless system (unattended install). It hung twice without a network conection so I could not see what was happening. Until my routers DHCP listed VAIL an additional machine named "SERVER".
    Shut down WHSv1. Restarted the VAIL machine which then started configuring the system. No problems with the install from there...?]

- Theo.

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Hi,
    Just a wild guess...

[I had a similar problem when installing VAIL refresh on a hadless system (unattended install). It hung twice without a network conection so I could not see what was happening. Until my routers DHCP listed VAIL an additional machine named "SERVER".

- Theo.

I have a WHSv1named "HOME-SERVER" so I shut it down, but it gets stuck at the same place anyway, I have also burnt the DVD ay 1x speed without any change.

No matter what I do it gets stuck at "setup is preparing your computer for first use"

I don't get any error meassage or anything else, when I do Alt+F4 the setup screen disappear and I get the empty desktop, but I can't start anything or check if some drivers are missing.

Friday, August 20, 2010 11:51 PM
  • No, not at the same spot; I could never boot from the DVD. That said, I have experienced installations (for various OSes and applications) going south and a new burn at a slower rate solved the problem. And, I've never been successful at installing from a flash drive.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSAPENI" wrote in message news:f747b98d-4b14-4b06-8188-6a2118068aec@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I've installed twice, and both times, it went perfectly. Well . . . after I burned the DVD a second time. Burned it at full speed the first time and it didn't "take".

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

/Peter

-- Nancy Ward

Did you get stuck at the same place as I did?

I will try and burn a new DVD at low speed, but I don't think that's the problem.
    I got same problem when trying to install from a USB stick.

But it's worth trying.

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:57 AM
  • The only other suggestion I can think of is to write ones and zeros to the hard drive (low level format) and start from there. Sometimes that will work when nothing else will. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

I just download the one for DOS and it's pretty straightforward. Takes forever and three days, but once the drive's clean, you shouldn't have any more problems.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSAPENI" wrote in message news:360bf89b-b4d8-46cd-9b09-86ce9bdf2348@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,
    Just a wild guess...

[I had a similar problem when installing VAIL refresh on a hadless system (unattended install). It hung twice without a network conection so I could not see what was happening. Until my routers DHCP listed VAIL an additional machine named "SERVER".

- Theo.

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:02 AM

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Hi,
    Just a wild guess...

- Theo.

Nancy Ward

Hi Nancy,
    I used the software copywipe as you suggested, but it was still the same result, but I have installed win 2008 and win 7 to that disk today without any problem.
    So I decided to try with a new disk, and it installed to that one without any problem.

So it seems that the new WHS vail is a bit more tough regarding the disk you install it to, I can still install the first vail beta without any problem, but not the refresh.

Probably there's some HW problem with that disk, it's one of the first gen. SATA disks and it's 6 years old, only used for testing, guess it's time to put it to rest now :-)

Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:38 PM
  • Yeah, it could well be a hardware issue. However, if you successfully installed Win 7 to the drive, I'd say it's still good and doesn't need to be put out to pasture.  What would be a real test is to see if the next build will install on it. :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSAPENI" wrote in message news:dcd9b02b-257b-4362-9c57-998cdf9d63f3@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

The only other suggestion I can think of is to write ones and zeros to the hard drive (low level format) and start from there. Sometimes that will work when nothing else will.http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

Hi Nancy,

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:12 AM