Validation support nightmare RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the 30 day trial of Microsoft Home Server and ordered an OEM license from Newegg. Entering the license produces the "Invalid Product Key" Message.

I called Microsoft Tech support. They said they could help me for $79. I explained that would be like paying $100 for a lock box and, finding the key doesn't open the lock, being asked for another $79 from the person who sold you the defective lock in the first place!

Microsoft tech support then told me the reason that I was having problems was that I had bought an OEM version of the software. They told me to request a refund from Microsoft and order a retail version from the Microsoft Store. I called the Microsoft Store and was told that they do no sell Microsoft Home Server. I asked to speak with 2nd tier tech support and was (after being disconnected twice) that Microsoft does not sell a retail version that OEM is the ONLY version.

I've learned my lesson. (Ubuntu is worth it!)This is my last Microsoft product, but because I have placed 5 terrabytes of movies and music on the server, MS has be by the short hairs.

If anyone has had similar problems that were resolved, I would love to hear about it.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• You have thirty (30) days to return the product to Newegg for a replacement.  OEM software does not include Microsoft support unless you pay for it.

Additional information is available in the Windows Home Server Forum.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:16 PM
  • I wonder if you could explain:

Why Microsoft Technical Support is not aware that the only version of Microsoft Home Server is OEM?

Why a product called "Home" server is only sold as an OEM? Implicit in both the product and in the word "Home" is the ideal that home consumers are going to be installing the software.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Additional information is available in the  Windows Home Server Forum.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, May 23, 2011 1:32 PM