none
New to certifications: where to start? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all. I'm a 28 years old developer from Italy. I already have a degree (3 years, "short degree" as it's called in Italy) in Computer Sciences and I've been working for three years in .NET and C#, mostly web and WCF. I'd like to leverage my knowledges and start a certification path, but I'm puzzled about all those acronyms :)

Which certifications should I get first? I saw MCTS 70-513, 70-515 and 70-516 but it seems they'll get discontinued in July... should I wait for the new ones or I can go on with these anyway? Or is there anything more basic to go through before?

Thanks!

Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would recommend that you start with the web exam (70-515), after that the WCF exam (70-516) and as the last one before the PRO exam the data access one (70-516). Like you have mentioned, these exams will retire in July next year, but it is still worth to take them (except if you want to go for the MCPD and have just a little bit free time for taking exams).

But you should also have a look at the MCSD exams - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsd-web-apps-certification.aspx
    These are the new ones and they mostly cover the same stuff like in the other exams.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:38 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I would recommend that you start with the web exam (70-515), after that the WCF exam (70-516) and as the last one before the PRO exam the data access one (70-516). Like you have mentioned, these exams will retire in July next year, but it is still worth to take them (except if you want to go for the MCPD and have just a little bit free time for taking exams).

But you should also have a look at the MCSD exams - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsd-web-apps-certification.aspx
    These are the new ones and they mostly cover the same stuff like in the other exams.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:38 AM
    Answerer
  • Finally I understood the difference between MCPD and MCSD... I guess I'll go for the latter. One more question: I see that MTA certifications are present as well, and they seem to be more "basic"; are these required in order to get MCSD or are they optional? Since I'm already working and I have a 3 years experience in .NET and C# maybe I could skip them...

EDIT: And another question: I see that MCSD has three steps: Do I have to follow the order of these steps, or I could take them in any order?

Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:42 AM