none
My WHS is dead...any troubleshooting guidance? RRS feed

• Question

• My homeserver was working brilliantly.  Then, dead.  The hardware seems to be working.  I will get the green connector status icon on my computers.  But then as soon as I try to connect to \\...\Music or some other share on the server it bombs out.  Then the connector status goes gray.  I've tried rebooting my WHS to no avail.  I can't even remote desktop into the server.  I have yet to plug a monitor directly into the server (it's a home built box) as I am trying to avoid the trouble.

Any tips?

Cheers

Ben
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:33 AM

Answers

• Thanks, kariya21.

So I went to the trouble of attaching monitor, keyboard, mouse.  The issue was instantly apparent:  IP address collision on my network.  I had assigned a static IP to the WHS and there was a conflict with another device.  So I gave the WHS a different IP address...problem solved.

Cheers

Ben

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:52 AM

All replies

• BenLower said:

My homeserver was working brilliantly.  Then, dead.  The hardware seems to be working.  I will get the green connector status icon on my computers.  But then as soon as I try to connect to \\...\Music or some other share on the server it bombs out.  Then the connector status goes gray.  I've tried rebooting my WHS to no avail.  I can't even remote desktop into the server.  I have yet to plug a monitor directly into the server (it's a home built box) as I am trying to avoid the trouble.

Any tips?

Cheers

Ben

The first thing you should do is check the event logs on the server (which will require a monitor since you can't use RDC to get to it).  There is most likely some hardware issue somewhere (and since it seems to happen when you connect to the shares, you might start with the NIC on the server).

Are you able to ping it immediately after it "bombs out"?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Thanks, kariya21.

So I went to the trouble of attaching monitor, keyboard, mouse.  The issue was instantly apparent:  IP address collision on my network.  I had assigned a static IP to the WHS and there was a conflict with another device.  So I gave the WHS a different IP address...problem solved.

Cheers

Ben

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:52 AM