Getting Started RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking at getting a MCPD Web Developer certification. I've checked it out and it looks like I need to get an MCTS certification first.
    Is that all I need to do? How much is it going to cost me?

On a side note, does anyone have a recommendation on a cheaper certification I can get that's going to help me get a decent job that I can use to pay for the MCTS and MCPD courses?

Thanks for checking my post

Logan Young, S.A
    Monday, September 1, 2008 2:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have passed all three exams for Web MCPD so I can tell you that you need good books, practice test and the exam fees so you need at least $300 per exam on the minimum.  I have covered all you need in the thread below with good resources but you should start with MCTS instead of MCPD.

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/391d83fc-dc56-4bb8-8ed0-03005c954389

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    • Proposed as answer by Darril Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael D. Alligood Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:12 PM
    Monday, September 1, 2008 4:13 PM
  •  $300 per exam, Caddre? Are they not $125 per exam?
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. End. Test. Evaluate.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:40 AM
  • I understand what Caddre is saying is that you need more than just enough money for the test - you also need money for study materials such as books and practice tests.

Darril
    Darril Gibson MCT, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSE, MCSD http://mcitpsuccess.com/ http://mcitpsuccess.blogspot.com/ Author - MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Administration All-in-One Exam Guide (Exams 70-431, 70-443, & 70-444) - MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Developer All-in-One Exam Guide (Exams 70-431, 70-441, & 70-442)
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Michael D. Alligood said:

$300 per exam, Caddre? Are they not $125 per exam?

Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog

Hi Michael,

I should have posted a break down because the OP was concerned with cost so I started with  exam fee $125, books at least two per exam and Transcender or Selftest which cost about $189 if you don't get it with exam registration bundle.  Then since Microsoft uses only Prometric here in Michigan I need to drive about 100 miles to take the test so that adds another $50

So exam fee   $125
        Books     $100
    Practice test $189
    Transportation $50

Total          $464     

But there are companies that bundle Transcender with the exam fee for $200 so that is how I came to the $300 which does not include transportation.  Darril thanks for explaining it for me, it was an oversite.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Thanks for breaking that down Caddre. I forward a lot of people to your posts and didn't want them to be confused!
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Hey guys,

Thanks for the input, it's really appreciated. Thing is, I'm not in the USA, I'm in South Africa... little 3rd world country like this, I didn't think there'd be an authorised Microsoft testing centre here.

I checked MS's list of places and found one about 2 hours drive from my house, they have an MCTS course that I know about, but I'm not sure about the MCPD yet which is ok for now...

As far as costing goes though, the testing centre gives me everything I need... my problem is that to do both exams for the MCTS, I need around R20,000 ... assuming the SAR - USD exchange rate is 10.00 SAR to 1.00 USD, that's $2,000 ... a bit pricey for my budget seeing as I'm only earning around R500 p/m from my mom for cleaning the house...

It's all good though I have to say, my mom's just gotten a job as a store manager for a rather large IT company down here, so she'll hopefully be able to manage the costs for me :)

Wooohoooo I'm on my way!!!!

Caddre, out of interest, how much do you earn now that you've got your MCPD? I know it's a personal matter, but I'm really curious, I don't think employers down here (with 1 exception maybe) know about the certification...
    Logan Young, MCPD Web Developer hopeful
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Logan,

I cannot discuss my income in a public forum I hope you can understand that but you can check Dice the employment site for rates for C# Asp.net developer because here in the US the MCPD separates me from other applicants of the same job.

$2000.00 is a lot of money even here in the US but I think the price is related to classes so you need to find out test only if you can self study and just take the test.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 12:54 AM