WHS install on System using Intel H57 Integrated Controller Chipset RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a new Gateway SX2840-01 system to upgrade my WHS.  This is a very compact package and would make a excellent web server if WHS could be installed on it.  It came with Win7.  WHS 2003 blue screens on the first reboot during the install process and reports a disk related issue.  The Gateway has an Intel i3-530 mated with an Intel H57 integrated controller chipset.  WHS 2003 includeing the latest trial version does not contain the drivers for this controller.  All downloads from Intel assume that you can presently run the OS.  Win 7 installs fine as does the next gen WHS Vail beta.  Does anyone have any ideas of how to get WHS 2003 to run on this hardware.  Preloads will not work because WHS formats the drive as part of the install process.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 11:58 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the tips.  I will try the F6 route.  I did look at that before but I concluded at the time that it only applied to bios updates but I will take another hard look.  It that fails, I will try the IDE route and it that works, it will at least get me through to when Vail goes production release.
    • Marked as answer by HuefnerAl Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:08 PM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:06 PM

All replies

• You can configure the drives to run in IDE or legacy mode instead of AHCI mode, or you can do a bit more research on the Intel site and learn how to prepare and use an "F6 floppy" from the driver package.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:48 AM
  • Thanks for the tips.  I will try the F6 route.  I did look at that before but I concluded at the time that it only applied to bios updates but I will take another hard look.  It that fails, I will try the IDE route and it that works, it will at least get me through to when Vail goes production release.
    • Marked as answer by HuefnerAl Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:08 PM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:06 PM