Non-licensed user access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

Is there a way to grant stakeholders and customers read-only access to our CRM data?  For example, any stakeholder or equity partner in our company should have read-only access to see the sales pipeline, although they will never add sales leads.

On the Service Desk side, we would like to use the Service Desk for internal support. So while only people on our support team will actually use Dynamics to manage support tickets, we want the ability to give anyone in the company a URL to a case to check the details & status of their issue.   Is this possible?

Thanks,

- Jeff

- Jeff

Thursday, March 3, 2016 6:30 PM

Answers

• The connector between CRM and SharePoint is a good idea, though not one I've implemented. I did a bit of searching and found the following:

http://www.layer2solutions.com/en/products/Pages/Cloud-Connector-for-SharePoint-2010-Office365.aspx

http://www.kingswaysoft.com/products/ssis-integration-toolkit-for-microsoft-sharepoint/help-manual

I know nothing about layer2 so can't comment on their products. I have used Kingswaysoft's integration toolkit to migrate data between CRM systems and liked the product.

• Marked as answer by jeffhoward014 Monday, March 21, 2016 6:51 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:37 PM

All replies

• Yes for people that are not staff. To quote from the licensing guide,

"External users are users that are not either your or your affiliates’ employees, or your or your affiliates’ contractors or agents. Access by external (third party) users is included with the Server License; you do not need CALs for external users unless using Microsoft Dynamics CRM client applications and graphical user interface (GUI)."

So provided they don't use the web interface or the CRM add-in for Outlook or the mobile apps they do not need to be covered by a CAL. However, you will need to develop an app to provide access to the data. Otherwise you need to buy CALs.

This does not apply though for staff, such as your support team, who must be covered by a CAL. Though you might be able to use an Essential or Employee self-service CAL.

I suggest you review the licensing guides for CRM online and on-premises. You can find links to them at this link  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics/crm-purchase-online.aspx, scroll down and look for Download the Microsoft .... licensing guide links.

Monday, March 14, 2016 11:02 PM
  • Thanks Feridun.  We've looked into the "essentials" license for our staff, but @ $15/month, it doesn't make sense for simply viewing support tickets.  Keep in mind that our "support" people will definitely be licensed users.

The internal staff I'm talking about are people that would otherwise have no business in the CRM, except to check on a Service Desk request that they submitted to have a break/fix helpdesk request or IT Project request fulfilled.

Another idea we discussed was sending out an automated email each week with an overview of the helpdesk queue, and possibly a public folder in Exchange that had a email record of each support case in the queue.

Ideally though it would be great if someone sold (or custom built) a connector between CRM and Sharepoint that populated a Sharepoint List with a query against the CRM service desk.  Do you know if anything like this exists?

Sharepoint Lists have a ton of simple intuitive functionality that would be great for a read-only view of our support queue.

- Jeff

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:41 PM
  • The connector between CRM and SharePoint is a good idea, though not one I've implemented. I did a bit of searching and found the following:

http://www.layer2solutions.com/en/products/Pages/Cloud-Connector-for-SharePoint-2010-Office365.aspx

http://www.kingswaysoft.com/products/ssis-integration-toolkit-for-microsoft-sharepoint/help-manual

I know nothing about layer2 so can't comment on their products. I have used Kingswaysoft's integration toolkit to migrate data between CRM systems and liked the product.

• Marked as answer by jeffhoward014 Monday, March 21, 2016 6:51 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:37 PM
  • For those interested in this non-licensed "stakeholder" type of access (e.g. employees or partners who need limited access to select views in CRM) the layer 2 solution looks like the way to go.  Their "Cloud Connector" allows you to pull down CRM views into Sharepoint lists.

For those of you familiar with Sharepoint lists, this is pretty amazing.  Once you have data in a Sharepoint list, Microsoft has a ton of very user-friendly tools to interactively present your data to the masses.  With the advantage being that every user in our organization gets a Sharepoint license, and can see key pieces of information from the CRM like the sales numbers, support tickets, etc.

- Jeff

Monday, March 21, 2016 6:57 PM